Immigration overhaul – TM6 disappearing and TM30 App being launched

Flashermac

Here in Samut Sakhon, there are upwards of 300,000 from Myanmar, all staying in apartments. This is a large target for Thai Immi. I often see the police knocking on their doors for a shakedown. The Myanmar people do return home several times a year and I'm sure that their rent fees go unreported and the Thai landlords do not want to be bothered with some TMxx.
The local Immi office is always packed with Myanmar people. The majority are working in the many fish factories in this area so gainfully employed.

How many from Laos or Cambodia working construction in Bangkok?

My landlord is silent on the TMxx as he has a going business and doesn't want to deal with the TMxx BS...

2 hours ago, cavanami said:

Here in Samut Sakhon, there are upwards of 300,000 from Myanmar, all staying in apartments. This is a large target for Thai Immi. I often see the police knocking on their doors for a shakedown. The Myanmar people do return home several times a year and I'm sure that their rent fees go unreported and the Thai landlords do not want to be bothered with some TMxx.
The local Immi office is always packed with Myanmar people. The majority are working in the many fish factories in this area so gainfully employed.

How many from Laos or Cambodia working construction in Bangkok?

My landlord is silent on the TMxx as he has a going business and doesn't want to deal with the TMxx BS...

This rather highlights another issue that some, certainly me from time to time, are likely guilty of. Certainly the non-regional expats are seen to be perhaps the more vocal when it comes to matters of immigration and certainly when what we might consider common sense appears to be nowhere in sight. I suspect though that Thai immigration devotes probably well over half of its resources to regional immigration matters, being Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and perhaps to a lesser extent Malaysia and the slightly wider ASEAN bloc and this is where the focus of their "management" is.

Essentially anyone from outside the ASEAN region represent a much smaller group.

I've been to Pathum Thani immigration a few times the last couple of years and they essentially have 2 buildings one for ASEAN (workers) and one for the rest of the world. ASEAN folk get to sit outside, usually in large numbers whilst ROW is accommodated inside the other building. You do see people of obviously ASEAN descent and nationality inside the ROW building  but these tend to be students or teachers, I think. Certainly in PT much of the Immigration resource is directed at managing the ASEAN work force that get to enjoy the fresh air immigration facilities.

Gentlemen,

Thai immigration issues did not catch my immediate interest so far although a terrible thought crossed my mind this very hour: having checked into a mostly BKK based hotel I usually keep the room without checking out if heading upcountry for a day or 2. Consequently the Thai immigration control machinery has to deal with a falang physically available in 2 places simultaneously. I could now imagine that additional joss sticks would be set on fire immediately  at the nearest shrine to calm potentially dangerous ghosts, but it is worth a thought to my opinion. In particular as the simultaneous appearance could be expanded to let´s say 5 places with utmost ease.

• Haha 1

Herr BB

And there lieth the problem Immi onle recognises last registrar, not an issue in your case since Hotel registers for you.

what o propose is radical. Ie it may bloody work, rather than look dated of registration refer to length of reostrarion I.e  if register as BKK then keep as BKK until such time secondary location time exceeds. All it would take is one line of code changed in the acronym 

I agree Bubi, I'll often book a hotel/serviced apartment for a month and then travel.  The massive discount you get is worth the added expense in my opinion and it's just nice to know you've got a place ready for your return.  Day trips, even five day trips, and because you're recognized as an important customer you get special service.  I pulled up in a taxi with loads of grocery shopping, two crates of beer, and by the time I made it to the apartment all had been safely stowed away in the fridge and the cupboards. 

I've stayed in so called 5 star hotels in Sydney that fail to offer kind of service - for $650 a night!

The major thing that discouraged me from traveling to China was that they wanted all bookings made in advance.  It's just not how I like to travel.  I like to reconnoiter a place before I make plans.  Get the map at the airport, often drunk in the bargain, and work it out from there.  Jesus if I wanted it all laid out I'd call one of those dullard tour companies (that are going bankrupt as we speak). 

BTW Mekong, I hope it's your keyboard failing and you haven't resorted to heavy drugs.  Just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

up to date hard facts from BuBi the immigration whistleblower:

The lovely Pam left the building in the early hours of this very Tuesday, arriving at the Wang Chattana (?) immigration, there being awarded queue number 276. Around 08:10 the queue appeared to be split between 30 days people and the rest . Which brought her forward to Number 61. She was done at 09:50.

According to the lovely Pam a straight forward payment of 500 Thai Baht to one of the guards has enormous influence on the duration of the event. The 09:50 were standard process though.