Immigration overhaul – TM6 disappearing and TM30 App being launched

Flashermac

In what appears to be a major overhaul of immigration procedures, dare we say ‘modernisation’, foreign visitors will soon no longer have to fill out the “TM6” arrival forms. The white and blue form has been a source of confusion for decades as passengers try to fill them out on planes or in a mad rush when they arrive at immigration desks without them, for decades.

The reason for the decision to go all-digital with the arrival procedure is that, of all reasons, the storage of all the white and blue cards had become an issue.

But wait, there’s more.

Now khaosodenglish.com are reporting that Thai immigration is not only doing away with the TM6 forms, they’re about to launch a new mobile phone app to make TM30 reporting easier.

Kobsak Pootrakool, the Deputy Secretary-General to the PM, also mentioned on Tuesday that another app is being developed to allow long-stay foreigners to complete their 90 day reporting with their smart phone. And, yes, he said a smartphone App was also going to make the TM30 reporting easier.

The TM30 form, and its companion, the TM28, have been a source of expat displeasure over the past five months since the immigration department decided to enforce a little-used 1979 law that required foreigners to report their whereabouts if they had stayed overnight at an address different from their registered address.

The same applied for landlords or owners of accommodation to report foreigners staying at their venues within 24 hours. Along the way there appeared cracks in the enforcement with all sorts of variations and conundrums being thrown up at organised panel meetings and online, little of which was answered with any certainty from the Thai immigration authorities.

Kobsak now claims that the changes are designed to attract more visitors and accommodate those already living in the kingdom.

“We made the decision last Friday. Within two to three months, life will be much easier for foreign tourists and expats.”

“Foreigners will be able to report their whereabouts with just four clicks on their smartphone to fulfill regulations that require them to report to immigration authorities every 90 days.”

Deputy immigration commander Nattapon Sawaengkit has confirmed the move to move the TM30 reporting online when contacted for comment, but assigned another officer to explain the details, according to the khaosodenglish.com report.

SOURCE: khaosodenglish.com

"Caution: I looked at Khasod English and didn't see this reported anywhere."

I saw something like this on Thai Visa I think...

but wait - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2019/09/18/govt-to-scrap-arrival-cards-for-foreigners-introduce-tm30-app/

___

my thoughts

But wait! Can I train the semiliterate, retired fellow, next door, to do the four clicks, on a burner phone every 90 days and or whenever else, I have to do it, and then just roam the Kingdom with my other phone, as I see fit?

• Like 1

There is already blowback reported in that some landlords are posting they will not rent to foreigners!

I can see a deeper reason for the TM30 as how many landlords collect the rent on a cash basis and the money is never declared to the THai Tax Office. The moo baan here is filled with ma and pa businesses that for sure, don't report their incomes.

Bottom line, it is about the Thai government grasping for more money...and tuf sh&t for the farangs and ma and pa shops!!!

7 minutes ago, cavanami said:

I can see a deeper reason for the TM30 as how many landlords collect the rent on a cash basis and the money is never declared to the THai Tax Office.

That, right there.

It's not so much about the lack of control and knowledge as it is the ability to collect money.

• Like 1

But it's the one pesky foreigner they now have to be sure to register that could upset that apple cart. Imagine the income from an 8 story, 12 apartment per floor block. Currently the owner might escape any degree of scrutiny. His renters are all Thai with up-country addresses and essentially freedom of movement. Along comes Johnny foreigner needing registration documents et al and suddenly the owner is recognised as a renter. Tax records are checked but no record shown, hmm. Investigation starts and owner dude is deep in the doo doo when it becomes clear he's been running a rental business for 15 years with 90 odd rooms a month income. Assuming an 80 room average rate at a low end 4k a month and that's about 57 million baht in rent over 15 years. I don't know what the statute of limitations is for tax payment but I can well imagine someone wanting a slice of that.