Bangkok air pollution

Shibuya

All dutch trains are now wind powered.  One cycle of a fan can propel a train over one kilometer.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/10/dutch-trains-100-percent-wind-powered-ns.  Thailand should really be looking into this as well.  A good example of an investment in infrastructure that will easily pay itself off over time and less deaths from air pollution (which no one ever factors into capital funding - basically because they don't give a shit, all though simple regulations could make them give a shit).  

• Like 1

Bangkok is turning into a megacity of mostly condos. Virtually every apartment in those condos will be owned by someone who drives a car. There has been absolutely no planning as the city expands. It just spreads like a wild fire, destroying everything in its path.

From the Bangkok Post:

"Because Bangkok expanded without any land use or transportation planning, it grew without sufficient road space, particularly secondary roads. Whereas New York has a 32% road-to-area ratio and Tokyo has 23%, Bangkok has only 8%. The limited amount of road space means that traffic becomes even worse when flooding occurs, making some roads impassable."

Add to that the constant construction of even more rail lines, which reduce the major streets to even fewer usuable lanes ...

• Sad 1

Well the delta that extends form North to South, the Chao Praya delta fed the extensive canal system of Bangkok.  Correct me if I'm wrong but in an effort 'modernize' the city which by many contemporary reports was a 'Venice in the East', a lot of the canals were filled in and paved over.  In the period of Rama V. 

So Flash - what's wrong with more rail lines?  Makes sense to me.  Get more people onto public transport.  It should appeal to people as well because instead of paying attention to driving, they could be reading a book, communicating with a friend etc.  More fully engaged then say listening to an audio book on the car stereo. 

"extensive canal system of Bangkok. "  as Jakarta is finding, when you build stuff, on swamps....

There's a flat green grassy field near me that was built on reclaimed Mangrove swamp, it's got a cricket pitch. As the pitch has been maintained over the years it has built up quite a  base. Not so the rest, the rest is subsiding. The locals and the council are pointing to this as evidence of sea level rise. But now there's a 40~50 cm difference between the height of the pitch and the surrounding ground. there's even a little ditch forming naturally in parts of it where the water birds are fossicking.

If the sea level was getting higher, the pitch would be inundated too, but it's not, it is as high and dry as ever and the surrounding stuff gets wet or flooded every time there's a King tide.

Sorry, off topic, no air pollution here.

3 hours ago, Coss said:

If the sea level was getting higher, the pitch would be inundated too, but it's not, it is as high and dry as ever and the surrounding stuff gets wet or flooded every time there's a King tide.

Surely I'm misreading this - are you saying the sea level isn't getting higher?  I hope not.  It's scientifically proven to be getting higher.  The polar ice is melting - where does the water go?  There is a global network of tide gauges, satellites designed to monitor this.  Also with global warming the oceans are thermally expanding owing to the property of water to increase volume at higher temperature.  There is absolutely no question the sea level is rising.

Go talk to the good people from Kiribati who recently purchased land from Fiji because their land is going to disappear.  In fact I hear land is cheap there, why not buy some and take advantage of all the suckers who believe the sea level is rising?

But as I say,  I hope I just misinterpreted what you were saying. 

5 hours ago, panadolsandwich said:

Surely I'm misreading this - are you saying the sea level isn't getting higher?  I hope not.  It's scientifically proven to be getting higher.  T

I'm not disputing that the sea level is rising, but it hasn't risen 40 cm, or 4 cm for that matter.

7 hours ago, Coss said:

I'm not disputing that the sea level is rising, but it hasn't risen 40 cm, or 4 cm for that matter.

Okay good - that's a relief.

Hi  Shibuya, yes what you are referring to is the monsoon and typically the wettest month is October.  It's caused by melting ice in the Himalayas which wends their way to the sea mixing with warmer waters in the Indonesia archipelago.  Gradually the monsoon will progress down under putting out bushfires and sparking renewal for all types of flora and fauna.  In the top end we start to see it in late October, but more likely November.  When it comes it can destroy roads and bridges and if you are unlucky leave you trapped at work until it lets off (or alternatively lucky because  you can't get to work).