Bangkok air pollution

Shibuya

1 hour ago, baa99 said:
21 hours ago, Coss said:

I'm not disputing that the sea level is rising, but it hasn't risen 40 cm, or 4 cm for that matter.

You're right! It has risen 6.6cm since 1993.

NOAA

I hadn't known that it was 6.6 cm, I had thought that it was more like 2~3cm - but as it is 6.6, then we should see much more over the next 10 years. Good to put a mark on the height gauge now @ 6.6

On 10/2/2019 at 8:45 PM, panadolsandwich said:

Well the delta that extends form North to South, the Chao Praya delta fed the extensive canal system of Bangkok.  Correct me if I'm wrong but in an effort 'modernize' the city which by many contemporary reports was a 'Venice in the East', a lot of the canals were filled in and paved over.  In the period of Rama V. 

So Flash - what's wrong with more rail lines?  Makes sense to me.  Get more people onto public transport.  It should appeal to people as well because instead of paying attention to driving, they could be reading a book, communicating with a friend etc.  More fully engaged then say listening to an audio book on the car stereo. 

You're right about the klongs. Many have been filled in, and those that remain have often been narrowed. (e.g. the klong in the middle of Sathorn Road).

Nothing is wrong with more rail lines ... IF they would add more trains and more carriages to the service. They've added some carriages, but they are nowhere near enough. During the rush hours, the urban rail lines in the city now are packed as tightly as Tokyo's. The city's "solution" so far has been to remove most of the seats from the carriages and make almost everyone stand up all the way.  Plus it is not unusual to have to wait for several trains to pass before you can even find one you can squeeze into.  Not much reading or communication takes place when you're squeezed in like sardines in a tin.

BTS-crowd-2.jpg.2cb035686b43bc547e4a517500aa9289.jpg

Waiting for the BTS ...

p.s. Not many people know that there used to be a klong between Patpong sois 1 and 2. It disappeared maybe some time in the 1960s, since I know it was gone by the 1970s. I've been told that the UN in the 1950s urged the city to fill in many klongs back when malaria was still a threat. That might have made sense when the city's population was less than a million, but they certainly would have been a help today.