Collect Customers’ Wifi Data

Coss

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/10/08/digital-minister-orders-cafes-restaurants-to-collect-customers-wifi-data/

BANGKOK — A minister said on Tuesday cafe and restaurant operators with free wifi service must collect internet traffic data used by their customers up to 90 days, or face punishment.  

Minister of Digital Economy Puttipong Punnakan said the backlog is necessary in case the wifi was used in criminal actions.  “Shops and cafes that offer wifi services must collect internet traffic information for 90 days, so in case there is anything, officials may need to request for the information under Article 26 of the Computer Crimes Act,” Puttipong said at a news conference.  

He was referring to a section in the newly revised cybercrime law that requires internet providers to keep a backlog of their users’ internet usage up to three months.  

Those who do not comply will face punishment in accordance with the law, Puttipong said.  He spoke on the same day police announced the arrest of a pro-democracy activist on allegations of posting inappropriate comments about the monarchy.

___

OK, so like other's on this board, I think I know a bit about the internet. Now, in light of the above post I have questions.

OK if someone like the NSA for good 'ol America, or what ever the China equivalent is, were to collect this data, then conceivably they'd be able to see something of it's content.

But WhatsApp is end to end encrypted and other apps and programmes, have various security features. Chrome on Android and Safai on Mac have a lot of security stuff. Windows presumably has some security too.

At the end of the day, what is Somchai of Somchai's noodle shop and coffee like you get from Somchai's mum, gonna do with all these 0s and 1s that fly through his broadband connection? 

Write them to a big hard disk? Print them out on the old dot matrix computer printer next to the till?

I don't know as much as I used to about this stuff, so I'd be interested in knowing what Somchai could conceivably get, from that nice Nok girl, at the mobile phone kiosk, that would enable him to set up a system, to syphon the WiFi traffic of all his customers for 90 days...

here's a bit of an answer

https://www.quora.com/For-how-long-does-a-router-keep-my-WiFi-records

Most inexpensive home routers do not keep wifi or other history information. They don’t have enough memory or storage capacity to save any information about past history. Once you disconnect from the router, or restart the router, the information is gone.  Expensive, commercial, firewall routers have more memory, superior programming, and storage space to do much more and save more information. They may include a disk drive and/or the ability to transfer history logs to another machine. They will include programming to sort and search through the logs for information you want.

Colour me stupid but I don't see how a cafe or restaurant is an internet provider. Internet providers are True, 3BB, Loxley etc. I'm sure they keep all necessary data and can even identify from which location traffic entered and left their system, at least I would hope they can.

This rather sounds like a Digital Economy minister knowing about as much about about the Digital economy as Somchai's mothers noodle boiler.

What's next, every petrol station must record the mileage, registration and name of the driver for every vehicle that fills up, just in case said vehicle was used in a crime they could then identify where it was.

Yes that's next.

I asked Somchai's mother and she said the local politician man,  has promised a VHS data recorder that uses andy magnetic tapes, for every small business in Thailand. They have a lot of them already coming, from China on the big Submarine that's dues to be  delivered.    

• Like 1