Queens Park Plaza To Close January 2020

The_Munchmaster

Gentlemen, thorough inspection of Soi 7 new bar area makes me think it will take another 2 weeks til completion. 4 or 5 places ready but no people inside yet.

There are good news even from Soi11: Where they have demolished the previous Cheap Charlie building, ground is currently prepared for a number of small businesses. According to workers.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates?

I drove past yesterday evening around 6pm so only managed a quick glance, traffic was light, Looked like the places on the street have the lights on so I'm guessing they at least are open.

Someone must have been.

Will be a couple of weeks before I make another field trip to darkest Sukhumvit I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Been down there a couple of times this week (last night most recently).  Busy. In fact all of soi 7 was quite active. The sidewalk bars may prove to be a thorn in the side of the legitimate bar owners, we'll have to wait and see.  Public toilets @ 10B per visit.

Will be interesting to see the impact of the closing of Queens Park on the soi 22 bars near Titanium.

10 baht for toilets!  That's it, the last straw!  No more Thailand for me, that's just to rich for my blood, er, piss...  I can piss for free at my local McDonald's, and ogle girls at the local mall, and satisfy physical urges at the Asian spa down next to Bed, Bath and Beyond...

Ah, who am I kidding... I'll be coming back even after Immigration just takes my PIN at point of entry and drains my savings directly...  Come heart attack, stroke, hip replacement or worse, I'm captive market for the Thai smile, no matter how faint and unfeeling it may become...

YimSiam

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 3:39 AM, Flashermac said:

Queens Park Plaza is a long way for me to go, but the few times I have been there, it struck me as the closest to what I remember Bangkok's nightlife being like back in the 1970s. I'd be sorry to see it go.

I can't make it back to the 1970s but go back 3 decades and yes, along with a few others from that era, it smacked of retaining that seedy underbelly we all fell in love with and now have largely lost forever.

Went down soi 7 tonight, perfectly fine bar area that hopefully will grow into something. 

Lacking character, but that might come

Noticed there was a couple of bars still clinging on in QP, don’t know how long that will last.

• 1 month later...