GPS tracking is Big Brother

Flashermac

In the new semi trucks in the US. Lorries for you from the other side of the pond. 555

The trucks now have built in tracking and diagnostic systems 

The shop manager for the company I contract with showed me this the other week.

He logged into a website and entered the info for a certain truck. Boom, there it was showing where the truck was sitting. It also sends him info if the truck is showing fault codes..

Plus companies have to install what are called electronic logs in all trucks newer than 1999 year. That also can track you.

Most new cars have this also. Many people don't realize this. Yes your car can rat you out if you're doing something you don't want others to know, if they get ahold of the records through what ever means

11 hours ago, passingthru69 said:

In the new semi trucks in the US. Lorries for you from the other side of the pond. 555

The trucks now have built in tracking and diagnostic systems 

The shop manager for the company I contract with showed me this the other week.

He logged into a website and entered the info for a certain truck. Boom, there it was showing where the truck was sitting. It also sends him info if the truck is showing fault codes..

Plus companies have to install what are called electronic logs in all trucks newer than 1999 year. That also can track you.

Most new cars have this also. Many people don't realize this. Yes your car can rat you out if you're doing something you don't want others to know, if they get ahold of the records through what ever means

Thanks for that, interesting. It does mean though that the vehicle has a means to upload data somehow as it does have to transmit that. I don't think a full satellite transponder is on the cards for most cars so it must be using existing infrastructure, cell sites I would imagine though for trucks it could certainly be a country wide system such as TETRA or other that allows wide area networking, I guess most trucking companies have dispatch systems with controllers and significant management software. That raises a couple of points. cell companies don't usually do free so someone is paying for the data, maybe in the car purchase price. There must be hardware in the vehicle which can (will) fail and go obsolete.

When people talk about GPS uploading, I think that means the uploading of data derived from a GPS,  but the method has to be via cell phone services, not via the GPS satellite. As you say.

Insurance companies will pay big time, for this data, as it enables them to avoid pay outs, if a claim is deficient in accuracy or fact.

They have promoted it, on the basis of a car calling emergency services when in an accident, so the teenage daughter is saved from injury, terror or embarrassment....