Bangkok restaurants you miss

Shibuya

The Thai Room on Soi Cowboy. It was there from VN War days to about the beginning of the 21st century. It had a fantastic menu of Thai, western, and vegetarian food, and waiters told me that foreign visitors sometimes asked to make a copy of the menu. I'd go there occasionally in the '70s, but in the early '80s it became my regular stop whenever I went to Patpong. A friend often went with me, and we would order a chicken in a basket and a large pizza, and split the meal between us. The food and service were consistently good, and the waiters remembered you. Someone bought it in the early 2000's, but they ruined it by changing the menu and cutting back on the portions and quality. Finally, the new owner turned it into just another go-go bar.

The men's room was decorated with Trink the Dink sketches, plus the truthful statement "Joggers die healthier." (I knew two senior US Army officers who died of heart attacks when running in the States so they could keep and shape and not be forced to retire.)

Here's part of the Trink the Dink graffiti. I met the "artist", an American who worked in Sow-Dee as it said on his T-shirt. He later wrote to Trink to apologise, saying he just did it for fun and didn't mean to insult him.

trinko.jpg

There you are, I knew Stickman would have it.

"We opened the Mississippi Queen in October 1972. At that time there were quite a few ordinary shops in Patpong, travel agencies, airline offices, tailors' shops and assorted restaurants including Mizus Kitchen and Tip Top. The Thai Room restaurant was very popular on Patpong 2."

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2013/04/the-patpong-of-old/

• Like 1

I just remembered something else about the Thai Room. There was a sign over the entrance to the men's room that said ... "Beware of low door flame."  They never did correct it, though many people must have commented to them on it.

I even took my mother to dinner at the Thai Room when she came on a visit in 1983. She quite liked the Thai Room, though her German nurse friend wasn't too thrilled by Patpong.  :xmsgrin:

p.s. I used the green Santa because this afternoon I heard Christmas being played in the Tesco for the first time this year. Ho ho ho ...

Not Bangkok, but the only restaurant in LOS I could honestly claim was really, really good, was run by a Frenchman, and was on the hill between Pattaya and Jomtiem, just before the top, on the Pattaya side.

Top class food, nice surroundings and an attempt at a culture, that didn't always feel right, with the heat flowing up the hill from the flesh pots. Can't recall the name.