Sign in to follow this  
Shibuya

What’s going off out there?

There isn’t a single bar on Soi 33 now. Every single bar on Nana looks the same. Patpong closed at 2am

Queens Park Plaza closing in 5 weeks time 

whats going off out there?

And now I'm into my 10,  of the three score years and ten...

If you want to see how times have changed and how the Foofs are mangling the language, see this: "what is three score years"

1st entry - 

threescore - definition and synonyms
Add. number. an old word meaning 'sixty' threescore years and ten (=70 years😞 He had lived for threescore years and ten.
threescore (number) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...

Now as I remember it's three score, i.e. 3  of score, score being 20, so 60
Not one word, two words.

Need someone from biblical times to confirm, Flash?

8 hours ago, Shibuya said:

There isn’t a single bar on Soi 33 now.

Wow, no bars at all?!

I think the first time I went to Soi 33 was in 1992, when I started living in LOS, and I became quite a regular. I think there were 5 or 6 bars back then (Renoir, Vincent Van Gogh, Degas, Monet and a couple of others) although we mainly frequented Renoir. Over the years a few more opened on the main soi and sub sois and then it sort of took off and a map of the soi dated March 2010 shows about 40 bars, including many Japanese ones, and about 15 massage joints. So to go from 40 to 0 in 10 years would be a massive collapse!

• Like 2

Ahh the memories  ... Where was it I found the stretch princess I wonder, expensive nights out, those were.

6 hours ago, The_Munchmaster said:

Wow, no bars at all?!

I think the first time I went to Soi 33 was in 1992, when I started living in LOS, and I became quite a regular. I think there were 5 or 6 bars back then (Renoir, Vincent Van Gogh, Degas, Monet and a couple of others) although we mainly frequented Renoir. Over the years a few more opened on the main soi and sub sois and then it sort of took off and a map of the soi dated March 2010 shows about 40 bars, including many Japanese ones, and about 15 massage joints. So to go from 40 to 0 in 10 years would be a massive collapse!

Actually there is one. It used to be Check Inn 99 but has changed its name 

looks about as inviting as a prostate exam.

up and down the street there isnt a single one. I think the last one to go was that Ozzie bar half way down 

The Check Inn 99 was evicted from it's old location a few years ago when the building owner got greedy. It moved out to Soi 33 and did well enough for a while, but then the great trio of Filipina singers quarrelled and finally broke up. After that the Check Inn fell on hard times and more or less closed its doors earlier this year. Some new Jazz club is at that location and as far as I knnow has nothing to do with the old Check Inn 99.  :(

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features/check-out-time-say-goodbye-historic-bangkok-expat-spot-checkinn-99/

20 hours ago, Coss said:

And now I'm into my 10,  of the three score years and ten...

If you want to see how times have changed and how the Foofs are mangling the language, see this: "what is three score years"

1st entry - 

threescore - definition and synonyms
Add. number. an old word meaning 'sixty' threescore years and ten (=70 years😞 He had lived for threescore years and ten.
threescore (number) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...

Now as I remember it's three score, i.e. 3  of score, score being 20, so 60
Not one word, two words.

Need someone from biblical times to confirm, Flash?

I remember hearing it back when Moses was still in the bullrushes, and three score and ten is 70. (Except of course when counting votes in elections, when numbers can mean anything the party counting them wants them to mean.)