Aung San Suu Kyi: How a peace icon ended up at a genocide trial

Flashermac

Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi used to be seen as a symbol of human rights, and spent years under house arrest for promoting democracy.

Now, as Myanmar's civilian leader, she is at the International Court of Justice to defend her country against charges of genocide committed against the Rohingya Muslim minority. She will, in fact, be defending the very people who had previously imprisoned her - the military.

How did this peace icon wind up in the dock?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-50709830/aung-san-suu-kyi-how-a-peace-icon-ended-up-at-a-genocide-trial

Yes it appears very Hypocritical of her. I am tempted to brand her as yet another South East Asian power grabber, were it not for her history.

I can only hope that she is doing this, on the basis that to not do it and let the military be tried,  without her, would be worse for the country and the the Rohinga overall.

TIme will tell.

And now she's doubling down in the best 'merican political style... I have to say, I'm very disappointed, the question is not "who started the fight?", it's "who conducted the Genocide?"

---

The Nobel peace prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi has defended Myanmar’s government against accusations of genocide at the international court of justice, calling the allegations an “incomplete and misleading factual picture of the situation”.

Addressing a bench of 17 judges from around the world, the 74-year-old leader dismissed reports of state violence against Rohingya Muslims and blamed the conflict on an uprising by sectarian insurgents.

An estimated 700,000 Rohingya have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh since late 2016, escaping military clearance operations that a UN fact-finding mission described as “brutal”. It warned that Myanmar was failing to prevent genocide.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/11/aung-san-suu-kyi-tells-icj-myanmar-genocide-claims-factually-misleading