Bangkok air pollution on the rise again

Flashermac

Flimsy paper face masks will be the only winner in the latest round of air pollution smoking up Bangkok at the moment. The Thai Pollution Control Department reports that excessive PM2.5 particulate is currently on the rise in the capital, suburbs and two neighbouring provinces.

PM2.5 particulate is the term used to describe very fine dust particles that reduce visibility and can make the air hazy and smoky. Studies show that an increase in PM2.5 can cause or worsen respiratory problems such as asthma and bronchitis, with those exposed to excessive levels at increased risk of heart and lung disease.

Thai PBS World reports that The Pollution Control Department puts the air in Bangkok and surrounding areas as below standard, with PM2.5 exceeding 100 microns in some areas, up to 180 in one location.

Bangkok, Samut Prakan, and Samut Sakhon have all recorded PM2.5 at 29-63 microns, with 50 microns detected in Pathumwan, Bang Kor Laem, Khlong Sarn, Phasi Charoen, Bang Khen, Bangsue, Laksi, Tambon Mahachai of Samut Sakhon’s Muang district, Tambon Om Noi of Krathum Ban district of Samut Sakhon and Tambon Paknam of Samut Prakan’s Muang district. (Latest readings from aqicn.org on the link)

Residents in those areas are advised to protect themselves while outdoors.

The usual response from the BMA and Thai government is to roll out the water cannons and requests for people to only use their cars if necessary. Meanwhile, the main polluters – factories, dirty diesel buses and regional burn-offs – continue unabated.

SOURCE: Thai PBS World

pbs.jpg

Gentlemen,

with utmost please I may again assist the esteemed members of this fine board to save money on purchasing aforementioned air pollution filters. What you see on the road whether in Siam or China is mostly useless and makes you also inhale your own co2 again.

The dangerous particles are the ones which enter your lungs, stay there for ever and could cause cancer or other unwanted reaction. The size of these particles is between 10 ans 100 micrometer which causes  them to laugh about any of the mainly used masks.

Point is that the mask has to close fully round the protected area and offer a very fine textile filtration structure. Result would be that breathing becomes a major job and therefore a valve in front of your Isaan nose is essential. Unit would be classified as FFP2 EN149.

Trust BuBi, him know

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vietnam gas masks

Just a while ago I heard a horrendous racket outside. I looked and saw Somchai walking down the street spraying DDT or some other no doubt banned pesticide into all the bushes and under the cars. One man came running out of his house, which had just been douched with the crap. He stood there glaring at the sprayer but said nothing.

I hope this doesn't  eliminate all of the wildlife, though it's no doubt aimed at the aedes mosquitoes.  Like as not, it will kill everything except them, besides not doing the humans any good either. :(

They have that in Laos too. It is common practice in Laos, to keep a large tub of water near the house, with guppies in it, because the guppies eat the mosquitos, that land on the water and attempt to lay eggs, they also eat any larvae, that do hatch into the water. Ergo, no mosquitos here. So the Lao come around and spray the water, killing the fish.  :(