So Britain made it's choice

panadolsandwich

Well for a start, Britain has overwhelmingly voted to stop immigration - so that's a non-starter.  And from a rational standpoint, Britain needs the EU a hell of a lot more then they need Britain.  Not the best position to negotiate from, I'm sure you'd agree.  And that rich-ish tax base, well good luck with that once the global entities carve up the NHS and anything else of value.  You might as well put all your faith in a so-called 'trickle down' system. 

It's very evident that immigration was the single, in some case the only, issue that sold Brexit. Had the referendum offered remaining in the EU but without the free movement of people it would have been a landslide. That's really all anyone there wants and is key among those places that swung from left to right in this last election. They want Brexit done and the foreigners out. The English are a remarkably xenophobic lot, I should know!

With the Eastern European cheap labour gone it will be the sons, daughters, and grandchildren of the current welfare recipients who can secure jobs in McDonalds, Sainsbury's or down on the farm come harvest time. Of course they will not work for £3 an hour so wages, and hence prices will need to rise in order to satisfy demand. The spiral of inflation that will result might encourage external investment depending on any rules that might be in force to either help or hinder such activities.

On the upside the loss of a large market of Europeans willing to invest and buy into the property market might provide an accommodation glut causing house prices to fall with a number of banks forced to declare insolvency through bad loans as people decide its not worth paying the mortgage anymore.

Sorry Coss, but I agree with Radioman about the central topic of immigration.  Although I'm not quite that pessimistic.

If you don't pay your mortgage, the bailiff will eventually come around with the help of the police to enforce an outright possession order.  Your property will then be sold for pence on the pound and you will still owe the debt.  The property won't go to young people, because they're skint, it'll go to various subsidiaries of cashed up slum lords - people like Donald Trump's father. 

Indeed look for a gradual creep (which is already happening) in disparity.  It has to be subtle, because you don't want to provoke people.  You want them reading and talking about Prince Harry (the bastard) and Meghan.  Meanwhile you de fund the NHS, and make out that it's a public fiasco.  All the Europeans leaving the service is a great start.  Look for - 'the NHS is a public farce!'; 'it's a bureaucratic nightmare'.  And then the coup the grâce the merciful putting it out of it's misery by allowing the US insurance companies to privatise it.  

On 12/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, Coss said:

There is always a distinct possibility that they negotiate a deal, that leaves every thing substantially the same, as it is now, but with a few nods to the populace,  like stricter immigration policies.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:03 AM, panadolsandwich said:

Well for a start, Britain has overwhelmingly voted to stop immigration - so that's a non-starter. 

16 hours ago, radioman said:

Had the referendum offered remaining in the EU but without the free movement of people it would have been a landslide

15 hours ago, panadolsandwich said:

Sorry Coss, but I agree with Radioman about the central topic of immigration. 

I was obviously being obscure when I said, Stricter Immigration Policies - Stricter does not mean lighter, like "No Uncle's, Auntie's, friend's, child's, stable boy's, mother" - Stricter can mean, "no people come here to this country no."

On 12/16/2019 at 5:52 AM, Coss said:

Maybe the EU are not so agin, the Poms remaining (officially or by sleight of hand), it's a handy place to store excess migrants... Rich-ish tax base, wots not to like?

Well Coss you did say this as well, which I must have replied to, as of course you did say stricter immigration policies - you can understand the confusion no?

How well I understand confusion. Or do I.

So Poms point of view could - be strict immigration policy, three people next year, two the year after and one a year from then on..

EU point of view could be - take all these people and store them somewhere, that's not France or Germany or ...

I make a note here; that I do not imagine that the POMS and the EU have agreed to anything, I reckon that are unlikely to do so, in the near future.

It's not so much the numbers, more the 'type'. Australians and New Zealanders, welcome, Hong Kong Chinese, welcome, so long as you remember to stay in the restaurant business. Scandinavians, okay, not too bad, especially if you're female and under 30. Republic of Ireland, no problem, but it's general contracting and roadworks, maybe taxi driving. Americans, if you promise to quieten down a bit and stop bloody complaining about the sausages. Other former colonial types, fair enough, but with limits, we know we pretty much screwed your entire nation for many decades so we'll let a few in and call it quits. All you other buggers, sod off!