Two Americans detained at Suvarnabhumi Airport weeks apart with a single bullet in their luggage

Flashermac

Both men have expressed shock at being detained and claimed no knowledge of guns or ammunition. One is still in Thailand awaiting a court hearing in March while the other, a respected fire chief in Pennsylvania, was released and arrived home in the United States on Christmas Eve.

Two disturbing incidents just over three weeks apart at Suvarnabhumi Airport have seen two Americans visiting Thailand arrested by security at the international airport after a single bullet was found in their luggage. The latest American to be arrested is still stranded in Bangkok awaiting a court appearance after his family wired thousands of dollars to pay for a lawyer and bail him out while the first American arrested, a 30 years old veteran fire chief from Pennsylvania who is highly respected at home, was released and allowed to return to the United States for Christmas Eve but not before spending time in a Thai prison.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/12/26/american-men-suvarnabhumi-airport-respected-michael-jones-morra-ohio-pennsylvania-bullet-luggage/

So it's arrived here.  :(

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/04/aviation/philippines-airport-bullet-bag-scam-tanim-bala/index.html?fbclid=IwAR3_mIT3NJ58Np3kHStp1qS19-Y_ei40J5ZRh6xWZS3g2kDEXtc7qmyAgH8

As an American and Texas resident, I can attest that bullets are about as common as Tic-Tacs these days, and easier to purchase -- losing track of a couple of rounds in your carry on is about as unusual as finding an old mint in the bottom of your bag, or an orphaned sock in the dryer... Suvarnabhumi should be more understanding!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YimSiam said:

As an American and Texas resident, I can attest that bullets are about as common as Tic-Tacs these days, and easier to purchase -- losing track of a couple of rounds in your carry on is about as unusual as finding an old mint in the bottom of your bag, or an orphaned sock in the dryer... Suvarnabhumi should be more understanding!

Say whut!!!

Here is a big fudge up I did years ago going into Canada 

I knew Canada did not allow handguns or firearms at all into their country.

Ok I drive semi truck for a living.

I get a load into Canada, stop by the house and leave said hand gun at home

I forgot all about the extra box of ammo for it in my bag..

So I get pulled into Canada customs for insp. No biggie. Opps. Now I am sitting in a room that has a buzzer lock door. In comes the customs officer going where is the gun!!!! What gun I ask. Seriously

The gun that this box of ammo goes too. Then he proceeds to show me the box of shells. Oh Fuck I reply. I left the gun at home as I knew your rules. I honestly forgot about the extra shells.

He then goes, how can you forget that you have a brick of shells in your bag?

Not a full brick I reply, it's minus 6.

He opens it and sees 6 empty spots.

He was not amused. Yep the truck got fully searched. I was released and allowed in after filling out some, I forgot and I'm sorry it won't happen again papers..

So it can happen 

Never mind arriving in a country with a piece of live ammunition in your baggage, checked or hand carry. The bigger question is what country would allow anyone to board an aircraft with a piece of ammunition in checked or hand carry?

I would certainly like to be aware of any countries with aircraft boarding security for persons or luggage that is so weak. Getting on a plane with the knowledge that someone somehow managed to get who knows what on board should be the real concern.

Maybe next instead of a bullet we can go for just a small incendiary device.

8 hours ago, Flashermac said:

What country? Well, not Japan.

Ex-Bangkok police chief caught with gun at Narita airport

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/602584/ex-bangkok-police-chief-caught-with-gun-at-narita-airport

That just says he was not apprehended when boarding in Bangkok for Japan. He was caught in Japan.

Scanning facilities in Thailand are generally pretty weak, or at least they have been. Another reason to suggest that the detection of contraband in luggage in these cases is less than likely through due diligence. Who's going to say what really happens to a senior police generals (bagman) luggage when it is checked in?