VPN recommendations and advice

Coss

Have used 3 or 4 over the years but have been with ExpressVPN for the last 3 years or so, excellent, just works, anywhere, even in China mostly. It also comes with a DNS redirector for Apple TV later versions so you can do things like watch BBC iPlayer no matter where you are.

Satisfied customer, 5 stars 👍

Learning curve, for me okay, 5-10 mins, good website help pages and good online support. has both standalone app and browser plugin. I run it on my MacBook, iPad, and iPhone. Apps for all devices. Also run it on a Windows PC though I am less familiar with those these days. You can also set it up to work on your router if you have one that is DDWRT or TOMATO enabled. I run DDWRT on my routers but though I have had the vpn running on the router I have found the performance hit to be too much for me. And of course it is a lot more involved to set up.

Security, always going to be a gamble but unless you are doing something really naughty is this really a concern. Looking at T&A I think is unlikely to raise much concern, unless said T&A are particularly youthful! 😡

Though it can use L2TP,  it no longer supports PPTP,  that is seen as weak generally and the much preferred OpenVPN and IKEv2 are both also supported. Split tunneling works so you can exclude things from using the vpn, like perhaps your mail client or other specific apps.

I can't say I have any real information on who, if anyone is really able to unwrap VPN data.

Trust, a hard one, I've used them for a couple of years, seems fine and lets me go where I want online without restriction. No blocked websites. There are local servers which can help with speed or a good choice of global servers that allow you to place yourself pretty much anywhere.

I have the regular 12 month subscription and I recall its about $100US a year.

p.s. (ish) It also allows voice and video calling using apps like Skype, WhatsApp, iMessage etc to and from areas that regularly block these, Middle East etc.

• Like 1