Thai Immi Lost My Passport!

cavanami

Just chatted with a friend who is at Thai Immi to renew his visa...and Thai Immi lost his passport...

The US Embassy says it will take at least one month for a new passport and he only has a few days remaining on his Thai visa.

He has been living/working in Thailand for many decades. He is married to a Thai. He is fluent in Thai but that doesn't help in this situation.

Hope he can get it sorted....

He does however have a receipt from Immigration for his passport, of course, so the onus is on them. In view of the fact that they cannot return the passport for which he is surely holding the receipt they will have to issue a document that they are attempting to recover it and any immigration sanctions as a result of their mishandling will not apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radioman said:

He does however have a receipt from Immigration for his passport, of course, so the onus is on them. In view of the fact that they cannot return the passport for which he is surely holding the receipt they will have to issue a document that they are attempting to recover it and any immigration sanctions as a result of their mishandling will not apply.

Maybe...TIT

5 hours ago, radioman said:

That sounds very logical but does logic apply in LOS?

• Like 1

When I go to Thai Immi, I supply them with all the docs and then sit and wait. I have never gotten a receipt.

I myself, have never left the docs with Thai Immi and returned some days later. Maybe if one leaves the docs for several days, then a receipt *** may *** be provided.

I will chat with my friend and post the status of the situation...

I think it would certainly depend on the renewal and visa type.  Either way can't see how they can lose it if its a simple in-out visit. They would be turning the place upside down to find it if they did that to me. If your passport needs to remain with immigration for any reason they must issue a receipt, since it is illegal to be on the street without I.D. The flimsy sheet of paper with no photograph does apparently count, since it is issued by immigration themselves. But then, as always, TIT.

He must have photocopies of his passport and visa.  As to a receipt, never had one. Immigration takes your passport and goes off to do whatever it is that they do.  But losing a passport is bizarre. It should never have been outside of their control, so it's their responsibility. Presumably it's buried in their stacks of records somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a chat with my friend...passport still lost.

He was at Thai Immi to renew his visa and the passport was lost while in the possession of the Thai Immi. He was sitting at THai Immi waiting for his visa. He never left Thai Immi but somehow it got lost!

For now, Thai Immi gave him a 60 day tourist visa while they look for his passport. He already has the paperwork at the US Embassy in case the passport is not found.

He is a long time resident of Thailand (30+ years), married to a Thai, fluent in Thai so things are as best as they can be....