The Covid-19 thread

Coss

Here, we estimate the impact of different screening programs given current knowledge of key COVID-19 life history and epidemiological parameters. Even under best-case assumptions, we estimate that screening will miss more than half of infected people. Breaking down the factors leading to screening successes and failures, we find that most cases missed by screening are fundamentally undetectable, because they have not yet developed symptoms and are unaware they were exposed. 

https://elifesciences.org/articles/55570

On 3/2/2020 at 11:39 PM, Coss said:

Africa readies for new virus as cases confirmed on continent  https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/02/03/2020/Africa-readies-for-new-virus-as-cases-confirmed-on-continent

DAKAR, Senegal:  Across Africa, steps are being taken to prepare for - and to reduce the effects of - the spread of the new coronavirus. Testing laboratories are being supplied, quarantine and hospital treatment facilities are being readied for patients, and public health advisories have been issued.

As of Monday, the continent of 1.2 billion people has eight confirmed cases of COVID-19 - three in Algeria, two in Egypt, one in Tunisia, one in Nigeria and one in Senegal. The case in Senegal was a French citizen who resides in Senegal and who had recently returned from France.

But 13 of Africa's 54 countries have been identified by the World Health Organization as at risk of becoming centers for the disease on the basis of volume of traffic between China and weak health surveillance and treatment systems...

The big surprise is why hasn't Africa become the biggest hit? They have tens if not hundreds of thousands of Chinese workers. I have seen this personally with visits over the last 5 years to a few different countries. 

Africa as a continent I'm guessing has more Chinese workers than all the other continents combined. Why are there so few? With all the interaction and flights? 

South America seems curiously exempt but I can see possibly the lack of contact with Chinese but you have big tourist areas like Rio, and other places that take in a lot of foreigners. 

Why hasn't Thailand have more cases? Thailand and Philippines are the countries I've visited the most by far (for cultural exchange reasons obviously ;) ). There are multiple tour busses of Chinese coming through Pattaya. Tons. Same in Bangkok. Logically, Thailand should be hit harder way more than it has and last I checked about 30 cases? Probably more by now. Why? 

Same in Philippines. The high rise condos mostly converted to airbnb in Makati section of Manila are at least half if not most Chinese tourists. Curiously all young people but anyway, why isn't Manila hit hard? There are only a handful of cases last time I googled it. Makes no sense. 

Okay, Rome gets its fair share of Chinese tourists and Italy is hit. California for obvious reasons both tourism as well as having Chinese Americans who go back and forth. So, I can see the sudden rise in cases. 

But places that have a lot of Chinese aren't getting it. Why isn't India? Comparatively speaking. It makes no sense. 

Thoughts?

21 hours ago, Flashermac said:

Thai Airport Staff Infected With Coronavirus as Tally Rises to 59

BANGKOK — Six new patients, including an immigration officer and an airport worker, tested positive for the novel strain of coronavirus, health officials said.

Among the new patients are a 21-year-old immigration officer and a 40-year-old man working at Suvarnabhumi Airport, according to Department of Disease Control Sophon Iamsirithawon, bringing the total cases of confirmed infection in Thailand to 59.

A 25-year-old man office worker, a 27-year-old woman returning from South Korea, a 40-year-old man returning from Japan, and a 36-year-old Singaporean restaurant owner were also found to have the virus.

Sophon did not identify where the immigration officer was stationed or any personal details of the patients, but the announcement came to light hours after an owner of a restaurant at CRC Tower posted online that he tested positive for Covid-19.

The Ministry of Health also reported three new cases of coronavirus infection in Thailand yesterday. They include a 41-year-old woman who had been in close contact with an infected patient, and a Thai couple returning from Italy.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/03/11/thai-airport-staff-infected-with-coronavirus-as-tally-rises-to-59/

Okay, didn't see this. 59 with the number of interactions. It's extremely low (thank God) considering the contact Thailand has with Chinese (as well as Koreans). 

7 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

Why hasn't Thailand have more cases? Thailand and Philippines are the countries I've visited the most by far (for cultural exchange reasons obviously ;) ). There are multiple tour busses of Chinese coming through Pattaya. Tons. Same in Bangkok. Logically, Thailand should be hit harder way more than it has and last I checked about 30 cases? Probably more by now. Why? 

Same in Philippines. The high rise condos mostly converted to airbnb in Makati section of Manila are at least half if not most Chinese tourists. Curiously all young people but anyway, why isn't Manila hit hard? There are only a handful of cases last time I googled it. Makes no sense. 

Okay, Rome gets its fair share of Chinese tourists and Italy is hit. California for obvious reasons both tourism as well as having Chinese Americans who go back and forth. So, I can see the sudden rise in cases. 

But places that have a lot of Chinese aren't getting it. Why isn't India? Comparatively speaking. It makes no sense. 

Thoughts?

The less you test the less you see. Easiest way to make the problem go away.

Shooting the Covid-19 virus out of the skys.....

Kim-Jong-un.jpg

North Koreans are reported to be dying in large numbers from the spreading novel coronavirus, but their leader Kim Jong Un is making a show of his god-like invulnerability, photographed with no protective face mask while all those around him are wearing theirs. How else to see his gleeful smile as he watches missiles taking off?

“Kim Jong Un doesn’t need a mask, of course, since he is immortal,” says Evans Revere, who studied Korean issues for years as a U.S. diplomat.

As for the recent volleys of five short-range missiles, Revere sees them as “signaling to the United States and others that, even in the midst of the coronavirus epidemic, North Korea is a force to be reckoned with and its military continues to strengthen its capabilities.”...

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/kim-jong-un-responds-to-coronavirus-with…-missile-launches/ar-BB115VWh?li=BBqdg4K

I read somewhere yesterday that the World Health Organisation has determined that Covid19 does not transmit from humans to dogs and accordingly is recommending that here is no need to quarantine dogs. They suggest that any dogs in quarantine should be released. Literally, WHO let the dogs out!