The Covid-19 thread

Coss

I thought that virii (plural virus) could not survive long on stainless steel, glass, et al

bkk2-960x540.jpg

Turns out, yer average virus (human specific) can survive on hard surfaces such as plastic and stainless steel for up to 72 hours and on cardboard  for up to 24 hours. Sounds counterintuitive, what's cardboard's magic power? Mis-reporting?

Prolly survive for  weeks and weeks and weeks inside the millennial.

In my day, the Scotch and Nicotine gave short thrift to any virii and bacteria.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-treatment-trump-directs-fda-to-examine-whether-malaria-drug-can-be-used.html

• President Trump said he directed the FDA to investigate whether an existing drug for malaria can be used to treat the coronavirus.
  • Some scientists have said the anti-malaria drug chloroquine could be a treatment for the coronavirus.
  • Like 1

Life could be depressing for a while with the Coronavirus. In a corner of my basement, I had stashed some whole grain wheat (cases packed in Nitrogen) to be used during pandemic, zombie apocalypse, nuclear war, etc. The problem is that the stuff has been there ~ 40 years, since the Carter administration. But I opened up a can and, to my surprise, it is still good after all that time! Hopefully, this pandemic is short lived.

Still only one death inThailand, and the poor guy had already been hit with dengue fever. (Second time I had dengue, you could have knocked me over with a feather.) Is it the heat or something that keeps it from being as lethal here? Italy is being clobbered by it.

Meanwhile ...

Coronavirus: Robots use light beams to zap hospital viruses

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51914722

4 hours ago, baa99 said:

I wonder if there is a recent spike in pneumonia deaths. The patients were never tested for CV so just placed in the pneumonia statistics.

Is the BTS as full as ever?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSeDKReJ3TaIFPBjsU7W6

Don't know, but I rode the MRT last Saturday. The number of passengers was maybe less than usual, but not very much. I saw only two Thais without a mask, both young guys who acted as if they were immune to everything.

Hi,

I road the subway during rush hour until Wednesday. Noticed it being marginally more quiet in the morning, but considerably more quiet in the evening. And almost nobody using the ticket machines. Most of the tourists are gone, leaving just residents / regular travelers.

Sanuk!