The Covid-19 thread

Coss

3 hours ago, Flashermac said:

Sorry to confuse you with the facts, but ...

-

Yep, Trump really dropped the ball. WHO is great! 

Sir, please get used to meeting people who are not confused by facts but willing to adjust their view of the world to existing facts even if the facts speak for idiots like Trump. Breathe deeply and try to digest what is obviously a new experience for yourself. I will investigate and tell you about my findings later. Whatever they are.

12 hours ago, Flashermac said:

Yep, Trump really dropped the ball. WHO is great! 

May 2018, Trump closes pandemic office.

Public health and national security experts shake their heads when President Donald Trump says the coronavirus "came out of nowhere" and “blindsided the world.”

They've been warning about the next pandemic for years and criticized the Trump administration's decision in 2018 to dismantle a National Security Council directorate at the White House charged with preparing for when, not if, another pandemic would hit the nation.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-disbanded-nsc-pandemic-unit-experts-praised-69594177

Veni, vidi, vici  - vis Venezuela:

I can't help but hope, that China's 'long game view' will manifest as a reticence, to engage in similar incidents in the South China Sea and elsewhere.

Because in China and elsewhere (Russia, USA, Facebook), it is quite likely that the 'hawks' or warmongers, are itching for a chance to, 'get me some more territory', yessum.

Remember Polio? Before my time, I did know someone who had it as a child, so I thought I'd share this from someone who was there.

>>> Which brings us back to Cornes, the only neighbour on the street with a previous experience of self-isolation.

That was during a polio outbreak, in 1948, when Cornes was 11 years old.

Classes in Hamilton were shut down for months, and her family of nine was forced inside to be home-schooled.

"It was crowded conditions at home but everyone experienced that, there weren't the differences between people in our era."

Everyone was worried about polio, it infected a school friend quite badly, permanently altering her leg.

People had to get by and look after one another - though lockdown was different: there was no TV or internet.

How did they pass the time we ask?

"We learnt to play with each other," Cornes says, smiling.

Coronavirus: US accused of ‘piracy’ over mask ‘confiscation’

The US has been accused of redirecting 200,000 Germany-bound masks for its own use, in a move condemned as "modern piracy".

The local government in Berlin said the shipment of US-made masks was "confiscated" in Bangkok.

The FFP2 masks, which were ordered by Berlin's police force, did not reach their destination, it said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52161995

Wow, the US has the power to confiscate shipments in Bangkok and somehow redirect them to the USA.

You don't suppose the Thai government had anything to do with it, do you?  Nah, they wouldn't do that.

See how your community is moving around differently due to COVID-19

As global communities respond to COVID-19, we've heard from public health officials that the same type of aggregated, anonymized insights we use in products such as Google Maps could be helpful as they make critical decisions to combat COVID-19.

These Community Mobility Reports aim to provide insights into what has changed in response to policies aimed at combating COVID-19. The reports chart movement trends over time by geography, across different categories of places such as retail and recreation, groceries and pharmacies, parks, transit stations, workplaces, and residential.

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/?fbclid=IwAR1a6NBrivR-AEfL0BKP69Pee8ERspRCWVP4fOkSgiHQ4RIiCpcL5aXsU48