The Covid-19 thread

Coss

On 4/11/2020 at 9:41 AM, Flashermac said:

I'm on a semi-keto diet. Cut out bread, rice, pasta etc. I don't eat nearly as much, but I'm not hungry. I've lost over a dozen pounds, but I won't be happy until I at least double that loss.  I'm trying to get back to my Army weight. Lots of luck with that, since the Army used to run if off of us and my running days are over.  The days when I could do 10 to 15 mile mine sweeps each morning are long past. :(

A lot of people trying Keto in some form or fashion. I'm a work in progress to cut all that out. 

• Like 1

From what I can ascertain from the news, they can analyze a person with Covid 19 and make a reasonable assumption where they got it from. The virus changes slightly person to perso so they can say with reasonable assurance they got it from Italy, China, etc. Science has progressed where you can come up with a chain of carriers and to some extent a timeline as well as geographical link. 

It's still early days. The 50 or so re-infections I read about in Korea scares me for obvious reasons. If that's the norm, things aren't going to end at all until a cure. And a cure is months if not years away. Being able to treat it where you are not as likely to die is the best we can hope for in the interim. 

CS, viruses (virii?) are constantly evolving, it's their nature, their thing, so by taking snapshots (figuratively) of the virus at different times, scientists can say where and when the virus was. Next a chalk board and some lines. Exclamation points even...

Vis the Korea re-infections. Unless we are capable of a complete 100% water tight, exacting isolation, for the life cycle of the virus, there will always be re-infections as people associate.

The good news is that incipient immunity and the isolating we are doing, will result in falling re-infection rates, until zero is achieved.

Think of it as a bouncing ball, eventually it stops. The bouncier ones, take a long time and the less bouncy stop quickly. This virus is likely to be quite bouncy, relatively speaking.

Whereas the NZvid-27 virus which is passed from the Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli, et al) and results in recovery from Dementia and lowering of Stress Levels in urban dwelling humans, is almost bounceless and thereto, difficult to get, unless from direct contact with a Kiwi.

Hmmmm, fascinating ...   I always thought it was called the sheep shaggers virus for a reason.  A suspiciously high sheep to human ratio.  Seems bouncy to me, yes more heft than usual.  Wait, you are meant to bounce the Kiwi aren't you?  I'm in a wet market and I'm deciding on a monkey, a kiwi or a tiger.  If the kiwi doesn't bounce I frankly don't see much use in it. 

The end games is test and contain until a vaccine is available. It is essentially what S. Korea did when the virus hit.

https://theweek.com/articles/907856/south-koreas-coronavirus-success

Both countries saw their first corona­virus cases on the same day, Jan. 20. By April 2, the U.S. had more than 240,000 cases and more than 5,800 deaths. Most businesses were shut down or crippled, and more than 10 million people had filed for unemployment in two weeks. In contrast, South Korea on April 2 had fewer than 10,000 confirmed cases and 169 deaths. The disease rate there appears to be both low and stable, yet no South Korean city has gone under a full lockdown, and the main economic losses were in the tourism industry. Few people lost their jobs. The difference is that South Korea sprang into action with early mass testing, tracking and isolating all contacts of those infected. It started developing and stockpiling test kits in early January, as soon as Chinese scientists released the virus's genetic code and before a single Korean had been infected.

Coronavirus: Captain Tom Moore raises more than £9m for NHS

This guy, who will be 100 years old on the 30th April, set out to raise £1,000 (Baht 41,000) for the NHS by completing 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden, with the help of a walking frame, by tomorrow.

As of now he has raised more than £9 million (Baht 370 million) !!!!! 😲😮😃😁

_111778074_tom1.jpg