The Covid-19 thread

Coss

11 hours ago, cavanami said:

The recent post...regarding Judy Mikovits...many errors

Which one of the many errors? Not saying there isn't but I'd like to see an example. I didn't know anything about Judy Mikovits prior to  being mentioned on here. 

Temperature Brazil with lots of cases is about 28 degree Sao Paulo , humidity in the 60-s . BKK samesame but 32 degree. This can not be the reason for anything. Thinking about the BTS at 17:00 Siam Square there should be ten-thousands sick now. Remember anything shows up after 2/3 weeks only.

As Europe´s leading virologist I still have no idea what this is all about.

48 minutes ago, buffalo_bill said:

Temperature Brazil with lots of cases is about 28 degree Sao Paulo , humidity in the 60-s . BKK samesame but 32 degree. This can not be the reason for anything. Thinking about the BTS at 17:00 Siam Square there should be ten-thousands sick now. Remember anything shows up after 2/3 weeks only.

As Europe´s leading virologist I still have no idea what this is all about.

You are not alone having no idea. There are thousands of doctors that are trying to figure it out. 

1 hour ago, chocolat steve said:

Which one of the many errors? Not saying there isn't but I'd like to see an example. I didn't know anything about Judy Mikovits prior to  being mentioned on here. 

Don't use Google to search her out as it is plainly filtered and biased. Duckduckgo came up with plenty of links. 

13 hours ago, cavanami said:

Lucky us in Thailand!

“Our most striking observation to date is the powerful effect that solar light appears to have on killing the virus both surfaces and in the air,” Bryan said.

“We’ve seen a similar effect with both temperature and humidity as well where increasing the temperature or humidity, or both, is generally less favorable to the virus.”

“As the temperature increases, as the humidity increases with no sun involved you can see how drastically the half life goes down on that virus so the virus is dying at a much more rapid pace just from exposure to higher temperatures, and just from exposure to humidity,” Bryan said, explaining some of the items on the chart.

Once solar light is introduced to a high humidity/high temperature environment on a surface, the half life is cut down to two minutes, Bryan stated.

This must explain why Florida, Louisiana Texas etc have the lowest Covid figures

Oh, Wait, they don’t.

9 hours ago, Coss said:
   10 hours ago,  cavanami said: 

. Current theory is that corvid doesn't like heat and humidity, which defines Thailand.

this might be cav' s 1st post in years that is based in the real world, 

sorry I mean to say, that the words 'current theory' appear to be based in reality, in that there is a 'current theory'.

not that the content of the theory is correct.

people here don't need me to explain random distribution

11 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Numbers in Sweden are increasing . 800 / day means  6400 / day Germany  at 10 against 80 million people. 6400 we had at peak time, now about 2000. This virus just keeps walking  and no miracles are happening. The next fortress to fall is Brazil with another President Idiot. Numbers are exploding now. Still cannot make up my mind about Siam with those low numbers. Even if they fake all stats there should be lots of dying people.

Checking Laos Cambodia Burma Vietnam : almost no cases. What miracle is happening there?

The authorities there believe that COVID will be around a long time — it’s the new normal for them.  It wouldn’t be practicable to shut everything down for long time.

39 minutes ago, zzzz said:

The authorities there believe that COVID will be around a long time — it’s the new normal for them.  It wouldn’t be practicable to shut everything down for long time.

One thing that has to be considered,  re: random distribution, is that like shotgun pellets into a flock of ducks, the virus is not going to be successful, in all individuals in a population, or all populations in a species.

The new normal - it certainly is looking this way.

However, the nature of mutation is that not all mutations survive, so that in a thing like a virus, the best outcome from the virus' point of view, is not to kill all the hosts. 

So mutations that allow the virus to survive and propagate without removing the host, will be favoured, over the ones that kill the host.

Ergo, it should either die out itself, or become relatively benign, if it doesn't kill all of us, quicker than we can breed.

I'm skeptical of the numbers being reported.  The US could have 20 times the amount of cases being reported - we just don't know because they aren't adequately testing.  

Also there is a strong belief forming in my opinion that the wealthy can circle the wagons and just watch the elderly and vulnerable to die off, and furthermore have peoples lives abbreviated.  Along the lines of so what?  Our bottom line is being impacted here. 

I'm optimistic a lot of change will come.  The countries most successful fighting it have shown a certain resilience and a desire to protect the most vulnerable people in their communities.  They are effectively acting by saying every life is precious and if we can buy enough time, come hell or high water, we'll get through.  I don't know about you, but that is the society I want to live in. 

From what I understand, Thailand very much has that attitude.  Certainly different to the "I'm okay, fuck you", attitude that is virulent in the US.  What they don't seem to understand is that, yeah sure you might be paying for a poor elderly person's welfare by chipping in a few meager dollars of tax - they say, I'm young, I'm fit - why should I pay tax to fund these freeloaders?  Well you can bet that will be a different story when they are on the bones of their arse as elderly people themselves. 

10 hours ago, Mekong said:

This must explain why Florida, Louisiana Texas etc have the lowest Covid figures

Oh, Wait, they don’t.

It is still cool weather in Florida, etc. It is early spring. Temps between 20 to 30C, not as hot as in Thailand.

Does heat and humidity absolutely affect covid? maybe after all this is over and data can be gathered something can be seen.