The Covid-19 thread

Coss

6 hours ago, zzzz said:

About 3 million people died in US last year, about 8,000 people per day on average. Covid-19 has been killing 1,000 people per day lately – approximately 12% of the last year’s average number.

It seems that the healthcare system would be able to handle a 12% increase. At the height of the pandemic in NYC, President Trump sent a hospital ship to lessen the load there, but the ship soon left because it sat empty most of the time and was at most 10% of capacity.:dunno:

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember, that there was some sort of Political scrap involving Trump and Cuomo over what kind of cases could be allowed onto the nice big shiny beautiful, "got the red cross on the side" ship. We don't know the full story there, it may not have been staffed appropriately, for example. It might not have had access to PPE or Testing.

I'm not sure what your point is vis a vis the numbers and the 12% increase, t'were me in charge, I'd be very worried about a 12% increase

And it seems that the virus could have more surprises in store for us, I hope it hasn't started on the kids, but read this story:

US health authorities in New York have warned this week of an unusual and potentially serious inflammatory condition possibly linked to covid-19 that they have seen in 15 hospitalised children.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300005716/coronavirus-rare-illness-with-possible-covid19-link-spreads-to-us-children

Also UK has some - small numbers, and not proven, but the 1st person to get Covid-19 was a small number.

Trump eventually allowed Covid patients on that ship but still very few showed up.  The point is that there were concerns that the health care system would be overwhelmed but it doesn’t look that way.  I just watched  the news where a camera crew goes into the emergency room of a major hospital. The waiting area is empty.  I guess people avoided that area like it was the epicenter of a pandemic.

18 hours ago, zzzz said:

Trump eventually allowed Covid patients on that ship but still very few showed up.  The point is that there were concerns that the health care system would be overwhelmed but it doesn’t look that way.  I just watched  the news where a camera crew goes into the emergency room of a major hospital. The waiting area is empty.  I guess people avoided that area like it was the epicenter of a pandemic.

I guess the temporary morgues setup in tents outside hospitals didn't alarm you.  NYC and the surrounding area shut down to control the virus outbreak! This was effective in "flattening" the curve, ie, reducing the peak. Plus thousands of medical personnel went to New York to help the overwhelmed staff.

No one was sure at the time how effective the isolation procedures would be. The effectiveness depends on the actions of the general populous. Since the worst didn't happen because of the extraordinary actions taken to control the epidemic, are you saying there was no health emergency?

And this following is , modelling, but I feel less of a prediction and more like a certainty.

...two new projections paint a gruesome picture of what could happen if the USA lifts shutdown orders too quickly: a Johns Hopkins University model showing deaths could reach 3,000 per day by June 1 and a University of Washington analysis showing the U.S. death toll could reach 135,000 by the beginning of August.

I hope that this doesn't happen.

3 hrs since my last post

8 hours ago, baa99 said:

I guess the temporary morgues setup in tents outside hospitals didn't alarm you.  NYC and the surrounding area shut down to control the virus outbreak! This was effective in "flattening" the curve, ie, reducing the peak. Plus thousands of medical personnel went to New York to help the overwhelmed staff.

No one was sure at the time how effective the isolation procedures would be. The effectiveness depends on the actions of the general populous. Since the worst didn't happen because of the extraordinary actions taken to control the epidemic, are you saying there was no health emergency?

You missed the gist of my post.  Hopefully, you will get it right.

That post is about UTILIZATION of available resources to fight COVID-19.  I said the hospital ship had less than 10 % use at most and the hospital emergency room waiting room was empty (0% utilization) while the camera crew was there.  You responded about morgue tents  and people coming from all over to help but you didn't mention how these resources were used if at all.  Were the morgue tents empty the whole time? Did the people that came from all over do anything useful?  You missed the gist.