The Covid-19 thread

Coss

On 4/25/2020 at 7:14 AM, baa99 said:

What about the Philippines! Hot and humid and has over 7000 cases. Indonesia has over 8000 cases. Malaysia over 5500 cases.

Three countries with a fair number of people either Chinese or of Chinese ancestry as well as visited by Chinese tourists. 

Still, 685 deaths in Philippines from one source (not sure how up to date), Indonesia, 10k cases, now less than 1k deaths, Malaysia over 6k cases, 107 deaths. Given the populations of each, PI, 100 million, Indonesia  267 million and Malaysia 31 million, any death is bad any case is bad but given the number of people, all three are poor countries and by definition poverty and bad health and pre existing illnesses go hand in hand, would it be more accurate to say the opposite. 

Even given the temperature. Heat and humidity is not going to kill any a influenza family of viruses. Slow it down? Possibly, depending on the strain. But again, I'm surprised its that low. Also, Africa. Sub Saharan Africa is very poor as we all know and a lot of people, elderly included who are in bad health. The number of deaths given their population and already ill people is shockingly low (thank Goodness). 

Stolen from Dean... 

A growing number of reports indicate Chinese officials pushed their counterparts in Europe to make positive statements about China in order to receive shipments of medical supplies to fight the novel coronavirus.

Why it matters: The revelations further taint Beijing's attempts to portray itself as a responsible and trustworthy leader in global public health.

Context: Over the past two months, numerous high-ranking government officials from countries fighting coronavirus outbreaks have offered seemingly effusive praise to China for its assistance.

The Italian foreign minister credited China with saving lives in Italy, the Serbian president kissed the Chinese flag as he welcomed a shipment of medical supplies on the tarmac, and the Mexican foreign minister tweeted a photo of a plane delivering Chinese aid, writing "Gracias China!!!"
What's happening: Officials in some countries are now saying there was pressure to praise Beijing.

Poland: In exchange for medical supplies, Chinese officials pressured Polish President Andrzej Duda to call Chinese President Xi Jinping to express gratitude.

“Poland wasn’t going to get this stuff unless the phone call was made, so they could use that phone call” for propaganda purposes, the U.S. ambassador to Poland, Georgette Mosbacher, told the New York Times.
Germany: German officials have been approached by Chinese counterparts trying to get them to make positive public statements about China’s coronavirus response and international assistance, according to German newspaper Die Welt Am Sonntag.

What they're saying: “What is most striking to me is the extent to which the Chinese government appears to be demanding public displays of gratitude from other countries; this is certainly not in the tradition of the best humanitarian relief efforts," Elizabeth Economy of the Council on Foreign Relations told the Times.

“It seems strange to expect signed declarations of thanks from other countries in the midst of the crisis.”
The bottom line: A quid pro quo for vital medical aid alienates global audiences who had at first been inclined to welcome Chinese Communist Party leadership in the fight against the coronavirus.

"The fairly aggressive party-state effort to 'tell a good China story' actually increases public awareness that these propaganda efforts on the Chinese side are going on," Thorsten Benner, director of the Global Public Policy Institute in Berlin, told Axios.
"They are shooting themselves in the foot by being so pushy on this."

China lied and lied massively about the virus. I would be surprised if they had deaths less than 50k or 60k and I'm being generous. There are stories about cremations happening 24 hours a day for days on in. They were building hospitals less than 2 weeks at a time. You don't do that for 3k deaths and the number of cases that number of deaths usually brings. 100k deaths wouldn't shock me. 

That said, nothing will be done. They won't pay a price for it other than their reputation. The only way any kind of punishment will work is if its the global community and that won't happen at all. Too many big nations rely on Chinese trade, tourism, etc.

I'd suggest the opposite. We know they will lie but why make them even more apt to keep things secret for the next crisis? Give them a safe space to be as open as possible. If they think they will face criticism for being anything close to honest, they will keep things secret as well. They also are very, very sensitive to their veneer of invincibility. 

We want them to be a team player as much as possible. 

Chinese are liars due to their genetic disposition once it suits their range of interest. One might think President Donald has Chinese ancestors, his face-colour indeed speaks for it. Regarding the Corona-thing I do not believe them  ANYTHING.

More interesting indeed are the extremely low numbers of infections in SEA. Maybe a case for a doctorate later on. Very very surprising.

53 minutes ago, buffalo_bill said:

Chinese are liars due to their genetic disposition once it suits their range of interest. One might think President Donald has Chinese ancestors, his face-colour indeed speaks for it. Regarding the Corona-thing I do not believe them  ANYTHING.

More interesting indeed are the extremely low numbers of infections in SEA. Maybe a case for a doctorate later on. Very very surprising.

The extremely low deaths and cases in Africa are even more interesting than the low numbers in SEA. 

Mister, who does really know how many are dying there any day in the woods? I would think their numbers are for different reasons as unreliable as the Russian ones. In the very end you do not receive accurate numbers anywhere unless a state tests everybody who has not obviously been shot or ran under a truck.

I responded that the extraordinary measures of shutting down the economy and self isolating reduced the peak infection numbers. It flattened the curve. The NYC infection rate went from 3 to 0.7. It is that reduction in the infection rate that kept the worst from happening. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

The morgue tents were used as well as the refrigerated trucks to hold the dead.

These health care workers left their homes and families behind to work 12-hour shifts for three weeks straight in the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/22/coronavirus-volunteer-medical-workers-wrapping-up-their-stay-in-nyc/

AJ Gray, 31, is an EMT instructor at Lorain County Community College, and a registered nurse. 

She volunteered at a field hospital in Queens, the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

“So we take the COVID positive patients. They still need medical treatment so they're not well enough to go home," AJ said. “We're on the training courts and you can't really tell it's a tennis court at all.”

Working there, was sometimes grueling.

“I've been here for 14 days. I worked 13, 12-hour shifts straight. It's not even the patient load is just being an all that, uh, the mask and the goggles and the gown," AJ said.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/features/local-nurse-volunteers-in-nyc-field-hospital-for-covid-19-patients/95-fd11b12f-bdf6-4958-ac1a-13db71a70ee6

On 5/8/2020 at 5:23 PM, buffalo_bill said:

Mister, who does really know how many are dying there any day in the woods? I would think their numbers are for different reasons as unreliable as the Russian ones. In the very end you do not receive accurate numbers anywhere unless a state tests everybody who has not obviously been shot or ran under a truck.

Africa has been closely monitored since the Ebola days. Africa has been the subject of the possible next wave. So, we know deaths of Ebola but not oovid 19? Covid 19 is the first disease in Africa to be rampant but no one knows? All continents are fairly reported EXCEPT Africa including other non African 3rd world countries with similar lack of infrastructure?  ;)