The Covid-19 thread

Coss

The Virus enjoying a politically independant status keeps on doing whatever it is able to. Which currently means that Texas shows daily 1700 new members in the club. Which would be 5100 in Germany which has 3 times more people. This were figures April in Germany and all in panic. Now it is 360 and stable.

President Trump found out it has been reduced to "ashes". We wish him well. Trump is a blessing to all America-haters. Which I am not.

One spreader in a Trump crowd yelling lock-her-up 50 times shall do a great job.

British-Norwegian Study Calls COVID-19 Man-Made in China

A British-Norwegian study alleges COVID-19 has "inserted sections," calling it artificially manipulated "chimera" made in the Wuhan virology lab and not occurring naturally, according to a report by Taiwan News.

Pointing to the lack of virus mutation since it has spread worldwide, the scientists suspect it was already fully adapted in the lab before being released, per the report.

University of London Professor Angus Dalgleish and Norwegian virologist Birger Sorensen conducted the study and published it in Cambridge University's QRB Discovery.

Sorensen told Norway's NRK, per the reports translation, it is "quite unusual for viruses that cross species barriers" and has properties vastly different than SARS and "which have never been detected in nature."

Sorensen added the belief COVID-19 is the result of "gain of function studies" being conducted in China, saying the both the U.S. and China have been conducting such research for years.

"I think this started as an accident," according to former M16 Chief Sir Richard Dearlove, Taiwan News reported. "This raises the question of whether China will assume responsibility and whether China should pay compensation."

Gain of function studies artificially manufacture the virus so it can be replicated easier to conduct a multiple of scientific studies, according to the report.

"The inserted sequences should never have been published," Sorensen wrote, per the report. "Had it been today, it would never have happened. It was a big mistake the Chinese made. The inserted sequences have a functionality that we describe. We explain why they are essential. But the Chinese pointed to them first."

https://www.newsmax.com/scitech/covid-19-wuhan-chimera-man-made/2020/06/10/id/971586/?fbclid=IwAR32YTKCUm0R7etwkKr7tEs34BJiRAf5I_sul1V0LZgBnHE2Bnob9OBaQ5U

But Taiwan is anti-communist, so you can't believe it ...

1 hour ago, Flashermac said:

University of London Professor Angus Dalgleish and Norwegian virologist Birger Sorensen conducted the study and published it in Cambridge University's QRB Discovery.

That paper is about the design of a COVID-19 vaccine. Here are the conclusions in the paper,

We have offered a rationale for the design methodology and the necessary design parameters of a successful and
safe vaccine against SARS-CoV-2. It is not included in any of the eight vaccine design routes identified in a recent
Nature summary graphic. (Callaway, 2020) We have shown in this paper why a comprehensive analysis of the
aetiology of the target virus is prerequisite, not optional. From the HIV experience, we have illustrated the risks of not
so doing.

Next, we explained why, unlike in conventional vaccine design procedures, the choice of adjuvant is not to be seen
as an afterthought but as integral from the beginning. We have deliberately chosen an adjuvant which has been
shown to activate the innate and cell-mediated immune responses which are crucial to the successful presentation of
the relevant epitopes. We have shown how Biovacc-19 has employed our understanding of the general method of
action for infectivity and pathogenicity of the target virus to optimise action and to minimise risk, especially Antibody
Dependent Enhancement; and we have presented the Non Human-Like epitopes in the SARS-CoV-2 Spike from
which Biovacc-19 has been down-selected.

I found the paper linked to, too dense for my feeble mind.

But I did note in the " "quite unusual for viruses that cross species barriers" and has properties vastly different than SARS and "which have never been detected in nature."" 

"quite unusual" no it's not, ebola, swine flu, bird flu, most corona viruses...  hence the word zoonotic 

"properties vastly different than SARS" wot? sneezing? coughing? ...

"which have never been detected in nature "  I got news for this guy, this is nature, we are a component of nature...

All I really draw from Flash's post, is that the virus or some like it, hav been studied, so they didn't have to start the study fresh.

Like "Oh yes this is coal, now what kind of coal? where is it from? what other coal is it like?", rather than having to start fresh with, "Wots this? it's black, I wonder, does it burn?"

This pandemic has affected my gaming.  Until Covid-19 came along, I never had a perfect game of Hearts.  Now, I’ve had three perfect games!!!  After posting  a proof of this on a Hearts gaming forum, it appears that none of them had ever played a perfect game.  It must be a very low probability event.
    ◦