The Covid-19 thread

Coss

3 minutes ago, baa99 said:

Why do you want to beat this dead horse again?

Because it's all he's got, every time he looks around, the world has changed, this is unsettling, but if he keeps his gaze firmly affixed, on the 3 or 4 dead horses, in his hero's paddock, then he can maintain a semblance of stability.

2 hours ago, baa99 said:

I am still waiting for you to state any error in the report I linked to. Why do you want to beat this dead horse again?

Most truthful item he said was, we need more research. I'm not trained in the specific area he spoke of, so cannot say it was error free.

Incidental discussion ::

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12339726

The flu has been squashed down to historically low levels in New Zealand, thanks to the raft of radical measures we used to crush Covid-19.

New data has revealed how the combined effect of shut borders, heightened hygiene, record vaccine uptake and six weeks of lockdown also knocked back several other infectious diseases.

More than 200,000 Kiwis catch the flu each year, and an estimated 500 people die from it - more than the annual road toll.

Experts have been left astonished at the impact that the fight against Covid-19 has so far had on flu rates - one likening it to a fascinating "natural experiment".

But they warn the common virus will likely creep back up as Kiwis mingle under the looser world of level 1 - and are urging Kiwis to keep up good hygiene this winter.

It's also unclear whether rates will stay low enough to avoid the annual pressure heaped on hospitals, or help district health boards make headway into an 18-month backlog of elective surgeries from the pandemic...

---

comment - 

1/. All the "Covid isn't as bad as flu, road toll,  etc etc etc", so we should be able to go out and beat each other to death, with guns n bullets etc, results in - actually all this social distancing and hygiene is a good thing...

2/. maybe the science is true and the malaria drugs ain't.

3/. as a grumpy old fuck, I find my self, well pleased, when people keep their distance.

“The most powerful tool we have to prevent the virus from spreading is social distancing and wearing a mask, but it interferes with the primary motivation for this administration right now, which is to be re-elected, and to be re-elected you have to pretend that we are not in a pandemic, you have to pretend that 120,000 people almost haven’t died, you have to pretend that 40 million people aren’t out of work,” Reiner said. “And the way you do that is by not wearing masks in public, but it has a direct negative consequence on the public health of this country. It’s disgraceful.”

says a Dr. Reiner, previously taking care of Dick Cheyney and now professor somewhere. Him know.

"At the end of the study period around nine percent of those in the control group had died. 

Of those treated with hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine alone, 18 percent and 16.4 percent respectively had died. 

And those given each drug in combination with antibiotics were even more likely to die: 22.8 percent with chloroquine and 23.8 percent with hydroxychloroquine. 

The authors estimated that the drugs put patients at up to 45 percent higher risk of dying from COVID-19 compared with underlying health issues."

Lancet, can't get more Truthier than that.

I wonder who the investors, in the rush to corral supply of these chemicals, were?

17 hours ago, baa99 said:

... follow the science ... :neener:

Yes, follow the science and note how they flip flop...dang difficult to know what is true and what is BS...

Covid-19: Lancet retracts paper that halted hydroxychloroquine trials

The Lancet paper that halted global trials of hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 because of fears of increased deaths has been retracted after a Guardian investigation found inconsistencies in the data...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/04/covid-19-lancet-retracts-paper-that-halted-hydroxychloroquine-trials