The Covid-19 thread

Coss

8 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Says top virologist BuBi speaking the truth one more time.

Hear Hear, I hope that our Jacinda, has already sent you your remittance, if it's delayed, let me know.

As our Banks like to hold payments,  for an indeterminate length of time,  so as to earn interest on the aggregated payments they hold, in the spot interest market. I'll go 'round and speak to them. :)

not a vaccine - dementia boy...

Thalidomide is a drug that was developed in the 1950s by the West German pharmaceutical company Chemie Grünenthal GmbH. It was originally intended as a sedative or tranquiliser, but was soon used for treating a wide range of other conditions, including colds, flu, nausea and morning sickness in pregnant women

Nice example for the daily nonsense spread by the Cavanami group of human beings. Somebody who has no idea  what he is talking about says something and finds a lot of believers once this junk meets their view of the world. System successfully developed by President Trump of America.

Thalidomid a vaccine my ass, this was a sleeping pill sold as Contergan resulting in a desaster within pregant women. Did not even need a prescription in the early days.

Whether Thalidomide is a good example, the more important point is that in the intense rush to put out a vaccine, the testing process will no doubt be cut as short as possible.  

The usual development cycle of something as complex as a vaccine is on the order of ten years.  Now we have dozens of organizations around the world under intense pressure to get one out ASAP.  People are desperate- we all want relief from this pandemic.  So I suspect the actual testing of the new drug will be by billions of people.

There are probably a dozen huge companies around the world going at this 7x24, and soon they will be releasing product.  Which one will you take?  The one tested for 30 days or 90 days?

58 minutes ago, jigger said:

The one tested for 30 days or 90 days?

Mr. Jigger,

to start with, thank you for your hidden efforts to keep this platform going for ages. What would we be without it.

A vaccine should produce antibodies and if it does for how long? It should further not create other problems and how long would it take to find out. Which is why a vaccine takes years to develop. For the time being only daily discipline prevents spreading. Would I be the Virus I had no worries to survive til further notice.

4 hours ago, jigger said:

Whether Thalidomide is a good example, the more important point is that in the intense rush to put out a vaccine, the testing process will no doubt be cut as short as possible.  

The usual development cycle of something as complex as a vaccine is on the order of ten years.  Now we have dozens of organizations around the world under intense pressure to get one out ASAP.  People are desperate- we all want relief from this pandemic.  So I suspect the actual testing of the new drug will be by billions of people.

There are probably a dozen huge companies around the world going at this 7x24, and soon they will be releasing product.  Which one will you take?  The one tested for 30 days or 90 days?

Hi Jigger, I second Bubi's thanks, for your efforts with this board, this is one of the few interesting places, on the planet.

Vis the vaccine,  "the more important point is that in the intense rush to put out a vaccine, the testing process will no doubt be cut as short as possible. " you are of course correct.

And the Cynic, in me says that the world's populist leaders are competing to be 1st to have a vaccine.

And not for the obvious reason - to get relief from this virus for the people of the world.

The main reasons I see are, National Advantage over other countries,  and in the case of Trump, Bolsonaro, Modi and López Obrador, personal advantage for profit.

Of course, I would prefer to take the vaccine, that works.

{Right now, the four most populous democracies in the world are ruled by populists: Narendra Modi in India, Donald Trump in the United States, Joko Widodo in Indonesia, and Bolsonaro in Brazil. That makes it rather important to know which scholars are correct: Either democracy is in the midst of an unprecedented global retreat, or we’re witnessing a salutary course correction in which citizens are finally holding global elites to account for their failures. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/hard-data-populism-bolsonaro-trump/578878/}

{Personal note - Have a friend whose brother was a Thalidomide child. Terrible existence.}

In 1960, during my gestation, my mother was offered Thalidomide but as she was not generally predisposed to taking any drugs of any sort unless absolutely necessary she refused it. I think that's called bullet dodging, but it does tend to make you appreciate different things, like arms and legs.

I don't think anyone of 70 or over would object to medication just because the effects 20 years on might not be known. It would be a much greater concern for someone of 40.

It won't happen but what I would beg the G8, the UN, all international bodies to do is treat the threat of a pandemic almost like they would if there was an alien invasion. Meaning a united front. 

A pandemic is one of those things that should be above politics, ideology, etc, because in a certain way its similar to the  MAD  (Mutually Assured Destruction) theory for  nukes.  What I would have preferred Trump to do is not to have criticized China during the outbreak. We (all humans) need as much information and cooperation as possible. The world is more interconnected, economically, physically, etc than it has ever been in human history. Tailor made for an ELE (extinct level event) virus. China being the epicenter could have offered invaluable information and advice. 

Italy gave us a lot of information that was invaluable about how the virus operates. What I hope and pray for is, the UN come up with a plan on how we would combat it TOGETHER. Yes, there will be ideological gamesmanship even in a crisis but lets make the effort. This would include North Korea and any rogue states. 

42 minutes ago, chocolat steve said:

It won't happen but what I would beg the G8, the UN, all international bodies to do is treat the threat of a pandemic almost like they would if there was an alien invasion. Meaning a united front. 

A pandemic is one of those things that should be above politics, ideology, etc, because in a certain way its similar to the  MAD  (Mutually Assured Destruction) theory for  nukes.  What I would have preferred Trump to do is not to have criticized China during the outbreak. We (all humans) need as much information and cooperation as possible. The world is more interconnected, economically, physically, etc than it has ever been in human history. Tailor made for an ELE (extinct level event) virus. China being the epicenter could have offered invaluable information and advice. 

Italy gave us a lot of information that was invaluable about how the virus operates. What I hope and pray for is, the UN come up with a plan on how we would combat it TOGETHER. Yes, there will be ideological gamesmanship even in a crisis but lets make the effort. This would include North Korea and any rogue states. 

What you mention is very idealistic and also unrealistic. We have proof that China hid the virus and look what they did to Chinese doctors that exposed the virus...like this scientist, who is in hiding:

Hong Kong scientist claiming China 'covered up' coronavirus data speaks out