The Covid-19 thread

Coss

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alaska-covid-vaccine-allergic-reaction-health-care-worker/

One health care worker in Alaska experienced a serious allergic reaction and was hospitalized after taking Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine, state officials said Wednesday. The worker, who is middle-aged and had no previous history of allergies, had stabilized with treatment but was being kept in a Juneau hospital to be monitored for another day.

The worker received the vaccine Tuesday at Bartlett Regional Hospital. Ten minutes after taking the vaccine she "showed signs of an anaphylactic reaction, with increased heartbeat, shortness of breath and skin rash and redness," according to Dr. Lindy Jones, the emergency room director at Bartlett. "She was given epinephrine and Benadryl, admitted to the hospital, and put on an intravenous epinephrine drip. Her reaction was serious but not life threatening."

Caution about Laboratory COVID-19 Report

News article

08 April 2020

The Ministry of Health is aware of a media report describing a laboratory study that shows Ivermectin, a macrocyclic lactone medicine used to treat parasitic infections as being an effective treatment for COVID-19.

The study being reported is based on lab tests being conducted in petri dishes and the results are achieved using a very high dose of the drug that has not been tested on people. There is no evidence that the compound has any efficacy against Covid-19 in humans.

The Ministry of Health strongly recommends the public do not buy and treat themselves with Ivermectin for Covid-19.

When ingested in high doses, Ivermectin can have a serious effect on humans, with symptoms including low blood pressure, worsening asthma, severe autoimmune disorders, seizures and liver damage.

The Ministry of Health’s guidelines still stand around COVID-19. If you have any of the following symptoms and have recently been overseas, or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19, please telephone Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453 or your doctor immediately.

The symptoms of COVID-19 are: 

a cough 

a high temperature (at least 38°C) 

shortness of breath. 

sore throat 

sneezing and runny nose 

temporary loss of smell 

These symptoms do not necessarily mean you have COVID-19. The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as cold and flu. 

https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/news-items/caution-about-laboratory-covid-19-report

Found the following number
 Total 548 cases
 Samut Sakhon Province has raised the level of surveillance from 19 Dec 20 - 3 Jan 20 as follows:
 1. Absolute control of the area, close the shrimp market and Srimuang Dormitory 14 days.
 2. Temporarily closed  Gambling place  Vocational school  The nursery local authorities.
 3. Sell food to eat at home.
 4. Shopping Mall
 5.Convenience stores close 22: 00-05: 00
 6. Flea market for 6 hours a day.
 7. Games shop, movie theater, beauty spa, skin tattoo, courtesy
 8.Do not go outside the dwelling 22: 00-05: 00
 9.Operate measures to shut down garbage masses away from victory registration.
 10. No foreigners are prohibited from leaving and entering the province, but Thai people can travel.  But must notify the area
 Election tomorrow
 Able to go to exercise normally  But must follow preventive measures

On 12/1/2020 at 10:32 AM, chocolat steve said:

I think the better strategy was to engage the Chinese early on and befriend them. They were ground zero. They could have provided information to help the world deal with it better. Ignore them blaming us or anyone and get as much info, even if its behind the scenes. There is time for finger pointing afterwards in a post mortem....no pun intended. 

The same people who poisoned their own babies with fake milk and who have killed millions of citizens in the past 70 years, I think not

I recently flew from Dubai to Miami via London. I followed all the instructions. I got a PCR covid test within 48 hours of my flight. While on the plane to Miami, I was handed a form to complete upon entry into America. It was a covid 19 information form. 

While in Miami, I went to only one of 11 UAE approved approved covid 19 testing sites in America. 3 hours by bus and train from south of Miami to West Palm Beach. I took a PCR nasal swab and paid extra to have the result back the same day because the UAE requires it no more than 96 hours from when you take the test. While at Miami Int'l, I was told I needed to complete a 3 page covid related form online before I could enter Heathrow. I never received this in the British Airways emails and did it at check in. While on the plane from London back to Dubai I was given a form that I was told needed to be completed. 

I was in Miami for only 5 days. I hadn't seen my mother in 2 years and my father in 3 years and with the rise in Covid19 cases in Florida, I wanted to see them while I possibly could. While I was there we all wore masks and had rudimentary covid19 tests done. 

Anyway, with all the tests and paperwork i mentioned NO ONE LOOKED AT ANY OF IT. 

• Like 1

You'd be shit out of luck coming to NZ, it's quarantine and testing,  until you're proven clear here. All our cases are locked up.

My view of 'the world as we know it',  hereon, now that there are vaccines being rolled out, is ::

a - Politicians will push the vaccine as a cure-all and try and wash the situation with "good news"

b - as is always the case, most countries will try and some will fail, to have an efficacious vaccine roll out

c - the anti vaxxer dicks (Cav n co.) will be quiet on the 'anti' part of their beliefs, until them and theirs have been jabbed.

d - places like the USA, Brazil, et al, will struggle to contain the pandemic, because large proportions of their populations believe assholes like Tucker Carlson who has branded the pandemic "Fake", and thereto will not get vaccinated. Not because they think the vaccination won't work, or is dangerous, but because they'll think they don't need to. Then some of their family will die.

e - step back and look at this from a species level. The current covid-19 virus is mutating. See news of a  variant in Britain that spreads faster. I don't know what the mechanism of the current vaccine candidates is, and if it will also work on mutations and variants, i.e. "designed to kill chickens but also kills Galliformes, but not all birds who are not Galliformes." There is potential for the vaccines to lose effectiveness over a short period.

f - Nature abhors a vacuum, with the masks and the distancing and the vaccines, the next disease that gets traction, may not be as easy to evade.

Hell, it might not be biological, much as the 'meme' (see Dawkins*) developed in our though processes,  to become prevalent in daily life, the next threat to our existence could be in our heads.

It might even be stupidity.

* Richard Dawkins coined the word "meme" in his 1976 bestseller The Selfish Gene. The word -- which is ascribed to an idea, behaviour or style that spreads from person to person within a culture -- has since been appropriated by the internet.