The Covid-19 thread

Coss

Last March, just before the Covid restrictions, I was about to leave for the Caribbean. I was sneezing, coughing, and had a runny nose and a fever. I thought I had Covid. So, I canceled everything. But it turned out that the old mercury thermometer was inaccurate. No fever, just a seasonal allergy. Had I gone, I probably would have been stranded in the Caribbean for a while, because a few days later, there were major Covid restrictions in place.

This time of year and seasons greetings are sent and received and most seem to contain the same message “Stuck In <Insert Country> due to lockdown. 
Friends stuck in UK, South Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia etc unable to work because of Covid 19. I myself haven’t worked for nearly 18 months, I was having a break after previous project when Travel restrictions kicked in.

5 hours ago, zzzz said:

Last March, just before the Covid restrictions, I was about to leave for the Caribbean. I was sneezing, coughing, and had a runny nose and a fever. I thought I had Covid. So, I canceled everything. But it turned out that the old mercury thermometer was inaccurate. No fever, just a seasonal allergy. Had I gone, I probably would have been stranded in the Caribbean for a while, because a few days later, there were major Covid restrictions in place.

I can think of worst places to be stranded but I take your point. 

Getting back to India - Interesting to see a population far higher than USA is frankly doing a better job with 3rd world infrastructure

USA Pop 331 Million

India Pop 1.389 Billion - yeah that's 1 BILLION more than USA

USA Cases - 18.5 Million

India Cases - 10 Million

USA Deaths - 327,000

India Deaths - 146,000

USA Death per 1 Million - 712,000

India Death per 1 Million - 117,000

Hmmmmmm - well fuck me, I'd prefer to be in a 3rd world shit hole than the USA

Think about those numbers and I'm pretty sure they are close to being measured equitably

39 minutes ago, My Penis is hungry said:

Getting back to India - Interesting to see a population far higher than USA is frankly doing a better job with 3rd world infrastructure

USA Pop 331 Million

India Pop 1.389 Billion - yeah that's 1 BILLION more than USA

USA Cases - 18.5 Million

India Cases - 10 Million

USA Deaths - 327,000

India Deaths - 146,000

USA Death per 1 Million - 712,000

India Death per 1 Million - 117,000

Hmmmmmm - well fuck me, I'd prefer to be in a 3rd world shit hole than the USA

Think about those numbers and I'm pretty sure they are close to being measured equitably

Those numbers in India are due to lack of testing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1113465/india-coronavirus-covid-19-tests-cumulative/

India tested over 158 million samples for the coronavirus (COVID-19) as of December 17, 2020.

The UK has run 48 million tests.

The USA has performed 682 tests per 1000.

India has performed 117 tests per 1000.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing

In India those that die at home are not tested for Covid,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-54985981

Since March, a group of volunteers in India's southern state of Kerala have trawled local papers and news networks for reports on deaths due to Covid-19.

Led by Dr Arun N Madhavan, a general medicine physician, they checked the district editions of seven local newspapers and followed five news channels unfailingly every day. They took notes on every death reported in the news and obituary notices and diligently entered the details in a spreadsheet. "It's a useful method of counting," says Prabhat Jha, of the University of Toronto, who led India's ambitious Million Death Study, one of the largest studies of premature mortality in the world.

As of Thursday night, the volunteers had counted 3,356 deaths from the infection in Kerala, which reported its first Covid-19 case in January and the first casualty in March. But the official death toll from the disease is 1,969.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-09/is-indias-covid-19-death-rate-five-times-higher-than-official-figures-suggest

With a group of dedicated colleagues he has been monitoring deaths statistics as reported in local newspapers and TV stations, and then comparing them with the official figures.

He has concluded there is a massive under reporting of Covid related deaths.

Extrapolating across the whole of India he concludes that the real death toll so far is more like 500,000 to 1 million.

sa.jpg.9f8c3666792ad1b171fd04330b924208.jpg

CAIRO (Reuters) - Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has received his first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, as part of a national COVID-19 vaccination plan being implemented by the ministry of health, state news agency SPA reported on Friday. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-saudi/saudi-arabia-crown-prince-receives-first-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-spa-idUSKBN28Z0VF?il=0