The Covid-19 thread

Coss

7 minutes ago, cavanami said:

Not every person catches covid, so many have no covid event in their lifetime.

Maybe look at the testing and something like 10 ~ 30% show a covid infection, so I would work with the 10 ~ 30% numbers.

Then there are those that have covid and show no symptoms??? Very strange virus...

This analysis assumes you have covid, simple as that.  This is a "If you have covid, what is the likelihood..." analysis.

1 hour ago, zzzz said:

This is a generalized (back of an envelope) evaluation which simply assumes that medical error that causes death occurs (during the 40 days that an average person spends) in a hospital during his lifetime.  What type of medical error or whether that error happens on day one or day 40 is irrelevant because of the simple and general nature of this analysis.  This assumption, however, may be lacking because some medical errors deaths could occur outside the hospital, such as in a doctor's office, in an ambulance, etc.  The fraction outside the hospital can be incorporated once it is known.

Medical Errors apply to both inpatients and outpatients yet you are applying all medical errors to outpatients only.

Less than 1% of Hospital Visits result in an overnight stay i.e. Inpatient.

9 minutes ago, Mekong said:

Medical Errors apply to both inpatients and outpatients yet you are applying all medical errors to outpatients only.

Less than 1% of Hospital Visits result in an overnight stay i.e. Inpatient.

I may need medical error death rates for inpatient, outpatient, and outside hospitals.  But it depends on how Johns Hopkins got the 10%— did they included them all or just inpatient deaths.  

The Johns Hopkins report states "...based on a total of 35,416,020 hospitalizations, 251,454 deaths stemmed from a medical error, which the researchers say now translates to 9.5 percent of all deaths each year in the U.S."

This is consistent with considering only inpatient in my analysis.

Figures rounded up / down to simplify.

OK so they are inpatient figure, I accept that, but 9.5% of 35,000,000 = 3:325,000 yet your data says only 250.000 deaths 

250,000 per 35,000,000 = 0.715%, far far lower than the 9.5% stated.

The reason why am questioning you figures is because “They Don’t Look Right” call it a gut feeling but I automatically thought “now that don’t right”

Why are the figures for Medical Error so much greater with Covid than all other reasons.

All they do to a Covid patient is check blood oxygen levels, listen to the lungs and carry out an x-ray and CT scan on the lungs. They may administer oxygen via tubes up nose (fuck, I have one of those things next to my bed), or in very serious cases put you on ventilator. They may also put you on an IV drip to stop dehydration and monitor breathing . https://www.webmd.com/lung/qa/how-do-doctors-treat-covid19-in-the-hospital

Apart from Ventilators everything is very basic procedures and I can’t for the life of me see where medical errors could occur.

Approx 5% of patients are admitted to ICU, the majority of whom are placed on ventilators of which there is a 30-50% mortality rate which is similar to COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and other lung diseases. https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid-19-ventilator-patients-survival-rates-increase-20200703.html. These deaths are due to Covid itself and not Medical Errors.

Note: over the past 18 months I have been in and out of Hospital, as both an In and Out Patient at least 40 times, had at least 12 Chest X-rays, 4 Ct Scans, MRI tests and have been hooked up to oxygen up my nose (as said, also have at home) and IV drips, hence the reason why I am saying simple procedures, unfortunately based on experience.

51 minutes ago, Mekong said:

Figures rounded up / down to simplify.

OK so they are inpatient figure, I accept that, but 9.5% of 35,000,000 = 3:325,000 yet your data says only 250.000 deaths 

250,000 per 35,000,000 = 0.715%, far far lower than the 9.5% stated.

0.715% corresponds to number of medical error deaths per hospitalizations (living and dead).

9.5% corresponds to number of medical error deaths for those that died after being hospitalized (dead only).

1 hour ago, Mekong said:

....had at least 12 Chest X-rays...

Too many x-rays can be deadly.  That may be a medical error.  Recently I had to get x-rays done three times because,  they couldn't get it right the first two times.  Then I was given two more when referred to other offices that wanted to do their own x-rays.   Medical error are common in my area.