The Covid-19 thread

Coss

On 1/15/2021 at 9:00 AM, zzzz said:

A US person average about 40 days in hospital during lifetime (https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb246-Geographic-Variation-Hospital-Stays.jsp)

Covid patient average about 20 days in hospital (https://www.kpcnews.com/covid-19/article_8ab408ad-8fb0-5f74-8d57-11e586bd8a4f.html)

With Covid, 50% of average lifetime hospital stay is used.

Covid death rate is 3%

Medical error death rate is 10% over lifetime

Medical error death rate for Covid patients = (With Covid, 50% of average lifetime hospital stay is used) * (Medical error death rate is 10% over lifetime) = 5%

Since medical error death rate for Covid patient (5%) is higher than Covid death rate (3%), an average US person with Covid will likely die from medical error than from Covid.

I got a response to the above from a statistics forum that is interesting:

“There is a threshold for being admitted. A person with an oxygen saturation level under 90% isn't going to have a choice to be admitted or not. You have to think about things as conditional probabilties. Probability of dying given you are sick enough to be admitted is the setting. 

Hospital treatments aren't that complex, maybe antiviral, anti-inflammatories, monoclonals, plasma, and supportive oxygen. The risks would come from individual risk factors (comorbidities, and immune responses [cytokine storms]) and nosocomial infections, but there are covid units so risk to other pathogens is low. 

The risk of medical error shouldn't be on the mind since these people would have no other option”

Chinese City Reports Coronavirus Found on Ice Cream

A city government in eastern China says the coronavirus was found on ice cream produced there, prompting a recall of cartons from the same batch.

BEIJING (AP) — The coronavirus was found on ice cream produced in eastern China, prompting a recall of cartons from the same batch, according to the government.

The Daqiaodao Food Co., Ltd. in Tianjin, adjacent to Beijing, was sealed and its employees were being tested for the coronavirus, a city government statement said. There was no indication anyone had contracted the virus from the ice cream...

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-01-16/chinese-city-reports-coronavirus-found-on-ice-cream

According to JAVA Network (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/

2774572), mortality of Covid patients averaged about 8.5%, of which 5% is estimated to be caused by

medical errors (from above). That leaves 3.5% mortality from Covid. In this case, you are more likely

to die from medical errors (5%) than from Covid (3.5%) if hospitalized.

2 hours ago, Mekong said:

I will ask you again, What Medical Errors are associated with Covid that make is so much worse, as far as errors go, than any other disease? 

🤷‍♂️  You have to carefully look at all assumptions and how they are used before you can understand the results. 

For Fucks Sake, stop hiding behind words and please tell me what is the higher risk of Medical Errors with

Chest X-Ray

CT Scan

Taking Dissolved Oxygen in Blood Readings

IV Saline Drip (if required)

Give Oxygen (if required)

Ventilator (if required) 

Observations

Do they give the X-Ray and CT scan results to the Janitor, Have Stevie Wonder administer the IV Saline Drip or use cyanide instead, clamp the Dissolved Oxygen probe to the Bed Post, Give Carbon Monoxide instead of oxygen etc

Why is Medical Error so mush higher for Covid than COPD, Asthma and Pneumonia which basically follow similar diagnostics and treatment.

I am carefully looking at the actual and not the assumed and applying logic. It appears that your logical thinking is non existent if you cannot see that there is no reason for Medical Errors for Covid to be far greater than similar diseases. 

What makes you think Medical Error so mush higher for Covid than COPD, Asthma and Pneumonia which basically follow similar diagnostics and treatment? Reference?

There is a disconnect.  I lost you.  And you lost me.

I’m using the death from medical error  data provided by Johns Hopkins. 10%. They don’t go into the details that you mention.  

You sound like a crazy man.  Are you OK? 

Mekong, are you hitting the bottle again?

On 1/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, zzzz said:

According to JAVA Network (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/

2774572), mortality of Covid patients averaged about 8.5%, of which 5% is estimated to be caused by

medical errors (from above). That leaves 3.5% mortality from Covid. In this case, you are more likely

to die from medical errors (5%) than from Covid (3.5%) if hospitalized.

I looked at that paper and it doesn't mention medical errors at all! One point the paper makes is,

In general, health outcomes improve with time, but this novel viral infection and our early access to a large set of patients provided an opportunity to see rapid improvement.

The biggest flaw in your argument is that you are assuming the same death rate for COVID patients without hospital care. Remember that only very sick COVID patients will be admitted to hospital because of the limited supply of beds and medical personnel.