The Covid-19 thread

Coss

5 hours ago, baa99 said:

The 51% was the number for the initial COVID virus, not for the Delta strain. The numbers in Indonesia, that relied on Sinovac, show it is ineffective. In Thailand a doctor died from COVID. She was fully vaccinated with sinovac.

Fully vaccinated Biontec/ Johnson et al -customers also die, but very very few. Some also die from being vaccinated with whatever. Looking at the whole picture these events are meaningless. Hundred-thousands would die without vaccine.

I do not care whether Sinovac is great or not, I am only trying to support facts within an increasing jungle of  lies and rumours and misunderstandings. To be sure whether or not something does a good job or not needs throwing a wide net to catch reality. Details matter.

Bloomberg.com :

" Indonesia found that Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s Covid-19 vaccine was less effective at protecting against death and severe illness in April to June, compared with the previous three months.

The shots prevented 79% of deaths and 53% of hospitalization in April to June, compared with 95% and 74%, respectively, in January to March, Siti Nadia Tarmizi, spokeswoman for the government’s Covid-19 task force, said in a briefing on Friday. She didn’t give a reason for the drop in the vaccine’s effectiveness. "

Where do your read that it is ineffective against the Delta-strain? I do also believe ( after having read a lot of comments) that it is less effective, but still much better than nothing.

Rev. Jesse Jackson, wife Jacqueline hospitalized for COVID

In this Friday, Jan. 8, 2021 file photo, Rev. Jesse Jackson receives the Pfizer's BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine from Dr. Kiran Chekka, Covid Administration Physician at the Roseland Community Hospital in Chicago. The Rev. Jesse Jackson and his wife, Jacqueline, have been hospitalized after testing positive for COVID-19 according to a statement Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021. He is vaccinated against the virus and publicly received his first dose in January. According to a statement released Saturday evening, the Jacksons are being treated at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. He is 79 years old. Jacqueline Jackson is 77.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rev-jesse-jackson-wife-jacqueline-234759904.html

On 8/17/2021 at 10:17 AM, buffalo_bill said:

Fully vaccinated Biontec/ Johnson et al -customers also die, but very very few. Some also die from being vaccinated with whatever. Looking at the whole picture these events are meaningless. Hundred-thousands would die without vaccine.

I do not care whether Sinovac is great or not, I am only trying to support facts within an increasing jungle of  lies and rumours and misunderstandings. To be sure whether or not something does a good job or not needs throwing a wide net to catch reality. Details matter.

Bloomberg.com :

" Indonesia found that Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s Covid-19 vaccine was less effective at protecting against death and severe illness in April to June, compared with the previous three months.

The shots prevented 79% of deaths and 53% of hospitalization in April to June, compared with 95% and 74%, respectively, in January to March, Siti Nadia Tarmizi, spokeswoman for the government’s Covid-19 task force, said in a briefing on Friday. She didn’t give a reason for the drop in the vaccine’s effectiveness. "

Where do your read that it is ineffective against the Delta-strain? I do also believe ( after having read a lot of comments) that it is less effective, but still much better than nothing.

people just want it easy, don’t they?

they see that 51% figure and hold on to that, not understanding what that figure means, how it was calculated and when it was conducted etc 

Same with Pfizer Vs AZ

Pfizer must be “better” than AZ due to those initial efficacy figures from 2020

I post the following, despite it having nothing to do with Trump, and not because it's from NZ, but because it is, about Covid, and it is, in the Covid thread too, specifically about the Delta variant and it's seriousness.

"There were 35 new cases of Covid-19 in the community as of Monday - 33 in Auckland and two in Wellington - the largest one-day rise since April 2020. Seven cases are in hospital, none are in ICU."

My observation is that, despite the small sample size and the cases are, 107 total, in NZ, there don't seem to be any actual deaths or dying, going on.

Could it be that Delta is losing potency, vis the health effects? whilst remaining a virulent spreader?

Death tolls from other countries seem not to provide agreement with me though.

As uneducated as I am, on this topic, I would has at a guess the infection figures are some way related to population density 

Auckland is 2,400 km2 whereas London is 5,701 and Bangkok 5,295 which both have significantly higher infection rates than Auckland. Wellington only has a population density of 710 km2 and a lower infection rate than Auckland.

The infection rate / infection curve appears to be logarithmic at first glance (well it isn’t linear or exponential) or maybe I am just talking shite as usual.