The Covid-19 thread

Coss

in reply to no one in particular:

I base the following only on media reports from the fake news like BBC, Guardian, ABC(australia), and so on.

Pfizer taken twice about 6 weeks apart is 95~97 % effective for preventing new infections.

Again - media reports.

But I am believe nice Malaysian twenty-something, smile and jab girl.

I was ruminating some time ago about: (disclaimer - not about conspiracies) - what would be the motive of a government, or some "Dr Evil" character, in releasing a pathogen into the population as a method of warfare or control.

The initial appeal is obvious, kill or remove all of the people who are opposed to you.

The problem with viruses or poison etc on the masses is that they are indiscriminate and just as likely to kill the progenitor's baby daughter and friends as any one else.

So to be useful to 'a government, or some "Dr Evil" character' the tool would have to be able to only affect those with a certain DNA makeup, or age, or (traditionally used) geographical location, etc.

Only a stupid mind would release an indiscriminate tool on the world, as no matter how well protected the fortress, a virus or bacteria or poison would get in eventually...

But what about a naturally or already released tool?

Hypothetically, if rubies and emeralds were guaranteed to provide protection from such a virus or bacteria or poison, then we'd expect some,  to hoard and fight to protect the supply of,  rubies and emeralds.

Enter the Burmese military.

"In the last week, the per capita death rate in Myanmar surpassed those of Indonesia and Malaysia to become the worst in Southeast Asia. The country’s crippled health care system has rapidly become overwhelmed with new patients sick with COVID-19.

Supplies of medical oxygen are running low, and the government has restricted its private sale in many places, saying it is trying to prevent hoarding. But that has led to widespread allegations that the stocks are being directed to government supporters and military-run hospitals.

At the same time, medical workers have been targeted after spearheading a civil disobedience movement that urged professionals and civil servants not to cooperate with the government, known as the State Administrative Council."

worth a read

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-myanmar-united-nations-12dd43272d9787af52a0d457abce1b7c?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MorningWire_July30&utm_term=Morning Wire Subscribers

The fifth batch of the 10 million doses ordered by the Chulabhorn Royal Academy arrived from China on Sunday. This batch had one million doses.

The vaccine has been allocated as follows:
• 4.5 million doses allocated for corporations
• 3.9 million doses for local administration offices
• 114,068 jabs administered to the general public since July 28
• 351,047 jabs administered to vulnerable and underprivileged groups

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004083 

So, 45% to Corporations, 39% to Government Officials, 1.14% to General Public and 3.51% to the vulnerable who the get the other 11.35%?

And again, the myopic view, from those who pretend to be better than everyone else.

If all the people at the bottom of the pyramid die, who is going to grow the food and clean the houses and supply the sycophancy that the top class Hi So, need, to get through their day?

Though from the figures I do see that the Corporations look like, they're vaccinating their workers, but who's going to feed them? whilst their making widgets and make-up?

And who is going to buy the widgets? 

I have always been a great advocate of the Tea Lady, Driver etc is just as important as the CEO or Managing Director. In Vietnam I used to always slip my driver a few dong for this but that but my tight arsed co-worker was the opposite, and he wondered why mine did anything I asked and his was reluctant. 

Another idiotic thing they say is “Self Isolate” excuse me, not everybody lives in multi-roomed homes, there are many Thais where the family live in one room. These are the most “at risk” group but cannot get a sniff of vaccine because the dictatorship have their collective snouts in a trough. 

Yes quite right, nothing wrong servile folk, if you treat them right, fed and watered, aspirations for growth, etc.

But to remove their resources, to the extent that they wither and die, is counter-productive and HiSo/Rich c**ts, have not the brain power to see this.

"Let them eat cake" is the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", said to have been spoken in the 17th or 18th century by "a great princess" upon being told that the peasants had no bread. 

Although anti-monarchists never cited the anecdote during the French Revolution, it acquired great symbolic importance in subsequent historical accounts when pro-revolutionary commentators employed the phrase to denounce the upper classes of the Ancien Régime as oblivious and rapacious.

As one biographer of the Queen notes, it was a particularly powerful phrase because "the staple food of the French peasantry and the working class was bread, absorbing 50 percent of their income, as opposed to 5 percent on fuel; the whole topic of bread was therefore the result of obsessional national interest."

---

The Ancien Régime; literally "old rule"), also known as the Old Regime, was the political and social system of the Kingdom of France from the Late Middle Ages (circa 15th century) until the French Revolution of 1789, which led to the abolition (1792) of hereditary monarchy and of the feudal system of the French nobility. The Valois and Bourbon dynasties ruled during the Ancien Régime. The term is occasionally used to refer to the similar feudal systems of the time elsewhere in Europe such as that of Switzerland.

LOS any one?

There was a post the other day on LINKEDIN re: US Government donating vaccines to Thailand, and I replied along the lines of they will all be snaffled up bu the government and it’s ass lickers and your average Thai would not get a look in.

The whole thread is in English and I have had over 60 likes on the comment, majority from Thais with job titles such as Director, Lawyer, Manager etc students from both Thammasat and Chula.

This is my “Straw Poll” to judge feelings amongst Thai society.

Trouble is deepening for Dr Boon Vanasin, the President of Thonburi Healthcare Group, who has been accused of a large stock purchase before lying about his company procuring Pfizer vaccines that caused the stock to soar. The Chairman of the Crime Victims’ Assistance Club has filed a complaint with the CyberCrime Investigation Bureau against Boon for sharing that fake news of a Pfizer deal.

The chairman believes there was never any negotiations as Pfizer was only authorised to work with one of 5 government agencies, none of which reported any dealings with THG. He believes the announcement and the low price stated of 1,300 baht per dose was fake news crafted solely to drive up stock prices...

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/dr-boon-thg-group-must-clarify-pfizer-deal-controversy

And...

Govt Calls In Private Sector To Import 25m Jabs As Outbreak Worsens

Facing a Delta-driven outbreak of more than 20,000 cases daily, and barely 6 per cent of the population fully vaccinated, Thailand is finally handing its private sector the means to import vaccines directly...

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004265