Laos

Coss

• 8 months later...

China has a bit of a habit of doing this. Loans to developing countries with full knowledge of the inability to pay it back so they step in to take ownership in sorts.

Done it in Cambodia and watched it happening in PNG when I was working there. They are now sniffing aroun the pacific island however the collapse of Evergrande may make things interesting.

My long term view of Laos, having some bits of it, is that eventually (20yrs) the current direness, will improve enough to make me landed gentry. But, the way things are going, I'll be long gone and MLG will benefit.

Bugger donating to OXFAM or Save the Children, or other businesses selling virtuous  philanthropy,  find a lovely person and improve the lot of her and her family...

59 minutes ago, Coss said:

Bugger donating to OXFAM or Save the Children, or other businesses selling virtuous  philanthropy,  find a lovely person and improve the lot of her and her family..

So your marriage is an act of Charity then?

Talk about “White Knight Syndrome” in action

1 hour ago, Coss said:

Bugger donating to OXFAM or Save the Children, or other businesses selling virtuous  philanthropy

Save the Children! More like save their extravagant lifestyles first. One of the more corrupt ones along with Christian Children's Fund now the Child Fund International and World Vision

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mekong said:

So your marriage is an act of Charity then?

Talk about “White Knight Syndrome” in action

Nope - when I was first in Laos I was considering doing something with one or other of the "charities", but the more I saw the less I liked the idea. MLG and family are certainly better for my involvement but that's not a motive, I was suggesting that Farangs can do more good by not entertaining the charity businesses.

2 hours ago, bust said:

Save the Children! More like save their extravagant lifestyles first. One of the more corrupt ones along with Christian Children's Fund now the Child Fund International and World Vision

Yep, I had dinner once next to a table of aid workers, the overheard conversation, curled my toes.

• Thanks 1

I spent some time in Mae Sot doing a bit with Karen refugees. Some of the NGO workers were on complete junkets. Sickening the funds wasted when so much could be done with so little money.

Another wee story, I was renting a place in Vientiane and the landlord was showing a beast from the states, the next door unit, he asked me if I could tell her what the neighbourhood etc. was like.

So I did, but her most important question was, who was and where, did I get my cleaner and cook from...

When I told her that I did my own cleaning and cooking and washing etc, she was aghast and said this:

"But the whole point of coming here, is to have people to do this, why would you do it yourself?"

She didn't take the place.

Boy I'm glad I didn't have to live next door to that.

• Thanks 1