100,000 Thais Face Severe Alcohol Withdrawal During Virus Booze Ban

Flashermac

On 4/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, Flashermac said:

Wow, I had no idea that going on the wagon could be so life threatening.  Maybe it's dangerous for the police to lock up drunks and keep them off the booze for a few days.

Well it's published in numerous medical journals, and is well known by medical professionals that if untreated can result in as high a mortality rate as 25%.  What isn't well known by the general community is just how dangerous it is to suddenly withdraw from - I suppose given that it is an 'acceptable' drug, people tend to think much like you do that it is relatively harmless to stop.  It is most definitely not, and if you don't believe me feel free to talk to someone who does know, or at least do some reading yourself. 

With regards to your question about police locking up people with serious alcohol problems - it is extremely dangerous.  Often the deaths that occur in custody are not recorded as such - well almost universally not recorded as such.  When you hear of people dying in police cells, which is an almost too common occurrence with indigenous Australians - well what are you meant to think?