Filipina National Looking to Teach English

Steve

I have a 'friend' in Manila, college educated, working at a call centre (just like India, its the job for the educated masses). She wants to teach English in Thailand (or any other ASEAN country) as her first choice, has a TEFL. 

I know a few sites like Ajarn, but I don't know the market, etc. She's read so far they will pay roughly 25,000 baht a month but it doesn't include housing. What advice can I give her? She can provide her own ride to Thailand and willing to work anywhere. 30,000 baht a month  is ideal but she knows thats the native speaker. 

She's 27, has some experience with kindergarten but not recent. Any info or advice? Thanks. 

There are placement agencies in Manila for this kind of work and there are many thousands of (currently out of work) "English teacher" Filipinas in Thailand. Most are shockingly bad beyond all possible belief. Most end up employed only by dodgy schools that do not provide work permits or proper visas, and of course as a consequence no proper contract or protection. Many supplement their income in the time honoured way women have often done, see websites, DIA, seeking.com etc. Income after "necessary deductions" likely to be less than half what she is looking for.

Better options will be in the Middle East, Dubai, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, but this is another game again. Their requirements will mean proper accredited qualifications and likely a few years as a teaching assistant in country. Money will be better though, US$1500 per month and up, much more expensive place to live though. Still plenty of opportunities for out of hours income enhancement, see websites seeking.com, ok-cupid etc.

Vast majority of advertisements offering work in Thailand are out and out scams which a little research, not something the Filipinos I've ever known seem much inclined to bother with, will soon reveal.

p.s. "College educated" in the Philippines with one or possibly two very specific exceptions is somewhat equivalent to a high school diploma from a more educationally responsible country. I would exclude UOP as one very specific exception.

Thanks Cav, she is properly educated. Top HS grades, smart enough to earn a government academic scholarship to university. The call centers in Manila only hire "real" college grads because  of requirements set forth by the credit card companies. Anyway, good info. Yeah, she is looking in the  Middle East. I've told her with the current crisis going on, not to get hopes up until  its less restricted. 

Sounds like she might be of the right sort of stuff then. ME jobs will be scarce unless things return to normal and even then the largely increased pool of unemployed is likely to cause wages to fall in at least the short to medium term. I've just been offered another ME 2+ year contract with a rate no more than I had 6 years ago, and less than my last real paying job. Being an ME job its still a shit load but it shows that rates are not particularly increasing.

A big demand in teaching is for those with online tutoring experience so it would be good to look at that and find ways to gain experience. Create some videos, do some preparatory work to put in front of prospective employers. Pretty certain they will be adding that as a plus point going forward.