Landlord/tenant dispute

dean

They moved out yesterday but kept the 2 keys to the house, saying they would return them when I paid them 20,000 baht.  I’m checking on what it would cost to have a locksmith change the locks.  I did replace the padlock for the front gate, so they can’t open it.  I told the lady that manages the house for me that if they try to get on property to call the Police and have them arrested for trespassing.  In the meantime, the lady that manages my house walked around the grounds today and noticed that the two large dogs pooped everywhere.  I can’t wait until she gets inside and sees how clean they left the house.  With 6 years left before moving back, I’m not inclined to rent house out again.

Whether the keys are returned or not, you must change the locks. It is so easy to make a copy of a key. Put that 20K to work changing the locks today

I'd want to install one of those locks with a camera that uploads to the cloud.

• 3 weeks later...

The locks were the first thing that I changed.  They settled for 5,000 baht because I was going to have to spend 15,000 to 20,000 to clean house and grounds.  It turns out only one of the coconut trees died, along with an older mango tree, so I got off relatively easy on not having a working sprinkler system during the hot season.  I have a company come by once a month to spray for insects, mainly termites, but the renter was not letting the company inside.  Most of my windows are teak and 2 of the windows have been eaten by termites.  With no one staying there, the house will get a spraying throughout in the next couple of days.  I asked the lady that takes care of the house to check to make sure that my secret stash of 17 bottles of whisky and tequila are still there.  I’ve got one bottle of 33 year old whiskey and a bottle of 1803 cognac that list for $500=600 apiece.  It would be virtually impossible for the renters to find the stash but I’d be really unhappy to find out that he had unexpectedly found it. 

The bottles were finally removed from their hiding place.  The dogs didn’t get to it but the insects did.  Eight of the bottles were in wooden boxes, which were eaten enough to make it unsafe to keep the bottles in them.  No damage to the actual whisky, though.  

• 1 month later...