Booze sales back from Sunday

Flashermac

Sales of alcoholic beverages will be allowed again from Sunday but people will not be allowed to drink in restaurants when they reopen, the government said on Friday.

The announcement was published on Friday in the Royal Gazette as part of the easing of some of the stringent measures imposed it the battle against the coronavirus.

The decision represents an about-face by the government, which said earlier this week that the alcohol ban would remain in effect until May 31 after it renewed the emergency decree for another month.

“Shops selling alcoholic beverages are allowed to open but consumption at the shop is banned,” said the Royal Gazette noticesigned by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. It will take effect on Sunday.

Restaurants will not be allowed to serve alcohol as part of the condition for their reopening from Sunday. Pubs and other entertainment venues where alcohol is served will remain closed.

The ban on alcoholic beverage sales was enforced for most of April across the country, with some provincial governors imposing curbs earlier than others. In Bangkok, it started from April 10.

Further details of the lifting of the ban will be released on Saturday by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), according to Somsak Rungsita, secretary-general of the National Security Council.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1911252/booze-sales-back-from-sunday

I went to the mini Big C to get a couple of bottles just after 11 this  morning (and after my haircut) and the guy in front of me picked up 5 cases. Just behind him was another guy with just 2 bottles. He said he liked a beer after dinner, and probably like me decided to go a little early just in case some muppet had a change of heart and decided beer sales were off later this evening.. At least I'll be able to end the drought with a sip or three this evening,, :beer:

Beer is back, there is light at the end of the tunnel... or at least if the light is an oncoming train, we'll all have a little buzz on by the time it reaches us.  

Best wishes to those in LOS who can now grab a libation at the local shop - as dismal as things may be, I do still wish I was there!  It has been too long - two damn years, a new world record for me by a country mile... Tragic, really. 

I honestly don’t know how I would have coped if I had still been drinking but fortunately, for me I am now teetotal 

Dont get me wrong, I am not sanctimonious declaring everyone should, not wrong with it, it just wasn’t right for  me 

2 minutes ago, Mekong said:

I honestly don’t know how I would have coped if I had still been drinking but fortunately, for me I am now teetotal 

Dont get me wrong, I am not sanctimonious declaring everyone should, not wrong with it, it just wasn’t right for  me 

I talk big and enthusiastic, but I'm a year sober day-after-tomorrow (god willing...).  So yeah, I get what you mean.  Drinking my way through the past six weeks would have been a disaster, no doubt.  But still...  I get a chill of recognition, a little joy in hearing that the fridge doors are back open, somewhere...

20 minutes ago, YimSiam said:

It has been too long - two damn years, a new world record for me by a country mile... Tragic, really. 

What is a Country Mile?

A Country Mile is 10 Furlongs / 2200 yards where as the Statute Mile is 8 Furlongs / 1760 Yards

One school of thought is it is derived from”As the Crow Flies” A Statute mile is usually measured in the city with line of site whereas a country mile has many curves and undulations making it necessary to travel 2200 Yards in order to get 1760 Yards Point to Point.

More trivial claptrap from me