The Thai Way

Mekong

• 1 month later...

I presented my wife her old emails, from 2001. She said, she had  never wrote them, did not even know those emails existed  or sent, she would not even know how, even in Thai language.

"Is it what I said? Never ever, I would have known how to say that in English".

Who wrote the emails? Then, dial up Internet staff around nana Plaza Internet joints, they did, their staff. They were talking to us, asking for money for their customer "sisters" likely some cut if any money comes. It was a hub where bargirls would drop email addresses and leave it to the staff to massage them and flirt. What the bar girls did, a note "Luv u big time" and email address and the rest was up to the staff.

They were laughing at us, how stupid farangs could get, reinforcing their national disdain towards anyone not Thai. And we were stupid. Whole Thailand may be laughing and despising us. Not totally out of the blue. That is how they treat all foreigners today, humiliating visa rules, taking a piss over foreigners, outright.

What I want from Thai now is - when the World opens, to go there again and do touring through the provincies, one week tour, one week home, then another one. As a tourist, not keen to know Thai internals (that I already know) any further. Enjoy the country.

To the best of my knowledge there were no “Nana Plaza Inernet Joints” per ce, most the the composed emails came from cafes in the old Ambassador Hotel Complex,  I was shacked up with a girl who was the manager of one such places. She got a commission on the emails she wrote and part of commission of mails written by other girls, she was making a fortune.

She blew me out and moved to USA with a rich American, HaHa, 20 years later we still send each other 1-2 emails per year, and she says she wishes she had stayed in Thailand with me.

Who knows TTM, maybe your wife’s emails were written by my ex.

It was 30THB per email, yes, those Internet cafes. Girls would hand over a post-it note or several emails and messages on one paper. The staff writing emails would (if the tone of the message was asking for something or saying one week going hometown)  massage and twist the messages with extras, copy/pasting and using "English for Lovers" pamphlet with melodramatic phrases.

I even think sick buffalo came from those writing or composing messages, never heard anyone in the sticks owning a buffalo, unless they were in dozens or hundreds under one owner.

Saw several large houses between Khon Kaen and Dinosaurus museum with 6-7-8 buffaloes (what I could spot from the road) around them. Was told that is their sign of wealth, girls from those house don't go into nightlife.

So, the whole story was about bargirls milking us, while there were GTGs (Internet caffees employees at that time) making up emails while demands the poor bargrils of the year 2001. would not know how to do? Simply, no ability, nearly illiterate they were.  Neither they knew what they can get. That is what my wife told me about those emails.

Several people here got badly burned by GTGs (Good Thai Girls) they had met out of the nightlife bars, over the Net. 

5 hours ago, think_too_mut said:

Several people here got badly burned by GTGs (Good Thai Girls) they had met out of the nightlife bars, over the Net. 

This is true, I personally had a few close calls, until I met my keeper., Vis, one to keep, and, one who keeps me sane.