The Thai Way

Mekong

For a while a dead mate and I had set up some "Thai girls guide to get money from farangs" guide

Was hysterically good fun back in 2001, girls taking the tips thinking some Thai girl had written them. Obviously I hadn't, but he was fluent from some diplomatic training and had a girlfriend on on the joke.

Maybe it wasn't a joke, I suspect the girls who took the booklet thought it was all real. The advise was very good

I don't see any "Thai way" when it comes to the professionals. I might see an Asian way who always ask for something the westerners may say is irrelevant or fixed, move on.  Asians are after the  details, down to the binary guts of some failure, even down to hardware failure analysis in scientific Lab.

Thais are much milder than Japanese, Korean or even India,  happy to see some logical high level explanation.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday evening the wife was reading news online and said to me “Problem in Indonesia, fire in mountain” 

She had forgot the English word Volcano, damn I didn’t  even know the Thai word for Volcano. 
At the time I hadn’t read or heard the news, but as soon as she said “Mountain Fire ”, I knew exactly what she meant, “Oh! you mean a Volcano”

It’s weird how, over the years, the brain tunes in, and what, to some may sound abstract or cryptic, to me makes perfect sense. Like, what else could “Mountain Fire” mean logically.

For the record, I have since learned the Thai for Volcano is “Phukhow Fai (ภูเขาไฟ)which literally translated means “Mountain Fire” so she was giving a literal translation, you learn something everyday.

She did not say whether the Mountain Fire Erupted or “Opened” 

• 11 months later...

Ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper we always referred to “Tomato Sauce”  (Brits rarely used the word “Ketchup”) as Red Sauce, as opposed to HP Sauce as “Brown Sauce”, we were simple folks, whenever someone was making the Bacon Butties the call would be “Brown or Red” and not HP or Tomato

Today I asked the wife for “Red Sauce” and she had a meltdown on me, FFS,

Wife “ What is Red Sauce”.

Me Tomato Sauce

W: If you mean tomato sauce why not say tomato

M: Because Brown Sauce is also made from tomato also has molasses

W: (After Reading Label) So this is still Brown Sauce

M: Which you know because it is.Brown, if I ask for Tomato Sauce you have to read the label to be sure you are giving me what I asked for

W: No I don’t, I can see

M: See What?

W: (Thinking) That it is not Brown

M: You mean Red?

W: Fuck Off, get your own god dammed condiments next time

I love winding her up haha