Prison Tourism

Coss

Justice minister Somasak Thepsuthin is throwing the doors of Thailand's prisons open for tourism.

Sanook called it the minister's latest "bright idea".

It is part of plans to rehabilitate prisoners in Thai jails by giving them a chance to work, develop skills and perhaps open their own businesses on release. 

The plan has already begun but is now being expanded to ten prisons in Chiang Rai (2), Rayong, Trat, Chanthaburi, Petchaburi, Ratchaburi, Korat, Trang and Phatthalung. 

Somsak said he would be monitoring the scheme closely and personally and said it was great for society.

Corrections department staff would need to choose sites within their facilities carefully. 

An accent on history, museums and exhibitions would likely bring the tourists in, he noted. 

Source: Sanook and Via Thai Visa

I suppose that keeping a percentage of all tourists in jail and then deporting them could boost the National coffers and sidestep the lengthy court processes...

23 minutes ago, Coss said:

I suppose that keeping a percentage of all tourists in jail and then deporting them could boost the National coffers and sidestep the lengthy court processes...

They already do except it is called IDC (Immigration Detention Centre) 

Mate of mine was driving around with his girlfriend of the month in Bangkok, when he asked what that building was.

She told him it was a prison and he jokingly said "Can we go and have a look"?

Next thing he knows the taxi turns and he's inside the prison.

Then it gets REALLY weird!

She tells him they can meet a prisoner, he's pretty impressed, he's a rather interesting kinda guy, so he was loving this unusual tourism

Out comes a man and sits down and the girl and him chat rather amicably

She turns to my mate and says "This is my husband, how did you know he was in jail"?

Bizarro coincidence - I know the girl and my mate so it's totally true,

Every time we went out together and passed another prison on the river to a favorite restaurent he'd ask if she knew anyone there

• 1 month later...