Thai ban on International/American travel to Thailand

dean

AFAIK spare Lithium Batteries have never been permitted in checked baggage as per IATA DGR (Dangerous Goods Restrictions)

There is also a limit on the number of installed batteries that may be carried in checked baggage as well as restrictions for hand baggage

IATA DGR 

I specifically asked TSA in the U.S. before flying and they said lithium batteries were allowed in checked luggage, not carryon. I flew KC to LAX with the batteries in checked luggage with no problem.  If I had known international rules were different from U.S. rules, I would have switched them to carryon.  It would be nice if these rules would be adapted for all countries to follow. 

I have  laptop, a 17 yr old Apple, that I love, because "it's so old no one has the knowledge to hack it, tee tee, gosh I'm so clever"...

and it has a very proprietary removable battery pack. I have  re packed the pack, because it uses the same cells that cordless power drill etc use.  You can't get new battery packs.

Of course, my soldering handwork, is in no way professional, using bits of wire I've found around the place.

It now occurs to me that this might look "tampered with" in the Xray machine.

I think I'll leave it at home.

3 hours ago, dean said:

I specifically asked TSA in the U.S. before flying and they said lithium batteries were allowed in checked luggage, not carryon. I flew KC to LAX with the batteries in checked luggage with no problem.  If I had known international rules were different from U.S. rules, I would have switched them to carryon.  It would be nice if these rules would be adapted for all countries to follow. 

IATA (International Air Transport Association) rules are used globally, including the USA, why would the USA have different rules for INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS?

TSA is the USA fucked up, not the IATA, but then again TSA are not renowned for their intelligence.

Then again, some may say, that the onus is on the traveller to know the rules before arriving at the airport.

I learned by posting this at the the on FlyerTalk that the Chinese government has a particular vendetta against lithium batteries.  While I wasn’t thrilled about losing $40 in batteries, I was pissed off about them keeping the bag.  I had. 3 hour layover in Shanghai.  I filed a lost luggage claim In Kumming. I had to spend 10-15 minutes calling China Eastern every day to see if they found my bag.  I make a trip to Chiangmai airport to discuss it with them. An official with CE told me to contact Thai Airways in Bangkok   The bag was found in Shanghai and I had it at Chiangmai airport in 3 days. I’ll never fly through China again. 

So let’s get this straight.

You packed batteries in checked luggage without checking dangerous goods regulations and it is the Chines Governments fault and not yours?

Then you go on to quote Flyer Talk, a USA based forum, who claims that the Chinese Government have some sort of vendetta against you merely for imposing internationally recognised regulations. Are Americans so special that international standard don’t apply to them?

Do ypu not realise how paranoid you are sounding. Oh Boo Hoo those nasty wasty Chinese won’t let me break international regulations and fly with checked lithium-ion batteries, they must have a vendetta against me

Take some responsibility and stop passing the blame o to others.

As usual, Mekong, you got about half of it right.  I did check U.S.. hazardous materials regulations and complied with them.  Concerning FlyerTalk, I posted on China Eastern’s sub category around 4 years ago.  It should come up if you search for” lithium “. My name there is Dean1953.  Several posters said that the Chinese are very strict about lithium batteries, not my words.  As I said, I was much more concerned about those pricks keeping my luggage for 13 days without contacting me.  It is normal procedure to confiscate the forbidden items, place an official note in the luggage to let the passenger know that his items were confiscated and let the luggage continue on its way.    It took time to track the luggage down and 2 trips to CNX airport. If you want to, please take the Chinese government’s and China Eastern position on keeping luggage with 2 prohibited items in it and not informing the passenger that his baggage isn’t lost, just kept on their whim. 

US HMR (United States) United States

IATA DGR (International Air Transport Association) Internatinal

The clue is in the name.

When dangerous goods (or even non-hazardous materials) are moved across international boundaries, they must comply with the regulations of multiple countries. The shipment must follow the regulations of the countries of origin and destination, and sometimes the rules from each country of transit or the carrier’s home country.

Taken from questions about US HMR Website

So I stand by my statement, you did not check Dangerous Goods Regulations, merely checked US HMR and assumed they applied internationally. I am sorry to break this to you but the world does not revolve around the United States.

Just because you posted on China Eastern sub category does not change the fact that FlyerTalk is still a US  asked website, it doesn’t work like that.

”Several Posters said that the Chinese were very strict about lithium batteries” is just other Americans complaining because they did not follow the rules. Are the Chinese any stricter than BÀ, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines etc, no just applying international Regulations. Also if “strict about lithium batteries” were not you words were “Chines Government has a particular vendetta against lithium batteries” yours?

As for asking the TSA before flying (why? since you had studied the US HMR) did you ask at KCI or LAX? More than 75% of US flights are domestic, KCI even more, and if you did not specifically tell them international travel they probably assumed domestic 

I get it, you were pissed about having your baggage delayed, but stop blaming your own stupidity on “Chinese Government Vendettas” and alike, it’s OK to admit you have screwed up once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently living in the UAE. Been trying to get exact entry requirements. There rules for U.S. citizens coming from America, UAE citizens coming from the UAE but not an American living in UAE. 

I see this among my google searches: 

They are saying 1 night must stay in a sanctioned hotel for covid19 test. I am more worried about my Kenyan gf who is coming with me if she can get a visa. Both of us are double vaccinated. I'm triple vaccinated (in the UAE), she double vaxed in Kenya.