Learning Thai Online

think_too_mut

The scepticism  against online learning has abated. Daughter's school had the whole semester online, due to the virus.

My daughter is taking online Thai lessons, 1 hour goes from 10-25 dollars. We settled with a mature lady, a professional teacher, 15USD an hour. 

My good friend, an American (late 30-s), living in the complex with American-Thai wife, a sophisticated lady and two beautiful daughters, told me. 500THB Thai language lesson 1:1 with a professional Thai language tutor goes 500THB. That is where we are, the ball park and online.

2020thaiclass01.jpg

My daughter is not a novice to Thai language, that was the first language she had learned before coming to Japan. She can understand, even translate, but no reading or writing. And the teacher is delighted she is teaching a teenager eager to learn and with Thai background.

My wife , Thai, has no teaching capabilities (starts yelling and making it a torture).

So, we are in for reading and writing first. Took maybe 35 lessons so far, with 100s more to follow. At that rate, probably 4,000USD until she can go into conversation lessons. During school holidays, class every day, now 1-2 per week. The material is the official textbook used by Thai schools. 

And, no need for a Thai keyboard. Hand writing.

A question for our fellow board members who have mastered Thai language:
When it comes to conversations, it may make a difference where the teacher is from (Surat Thani) and if her accent and diction would devalue the learning outcome? My wife says they (Surat Thani) speak too fast, mumble, the rest of Thai have difficulties understanding them. Not that my wife (Sa Kaew, Wang Nam Yen) is better but just as a warning.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:26 PM, paul101 said:

My Mrs teaches it online now as a result of the virus but she also visits students, she charges 500 baht an hour. I can't afford it 😀 She is qualified and has over 20 years experience.

That is it. Minus visiting the students. My afore mentioned friend, said only some neutral pad, the teachers never come to your home. Restaurant or shopping mall food court. I guess, if we were in Bangkok,  they might come to our home where whole family is present and the students is a teenager.

The site I am using has maybe 60 teachers for Thai. The site takes Paypal and the money goes to the teacher only when you confirm that the lesson did happen and you were happy with it.
I don't know what their cut is, she must be getting a good part of those 15$ and, according to her schedule, has 6-10 lessons a day. Weekends are usually grayed out.

1 hour ago, think_too_mut said:

That is it. Minus visiting the students. My afore mentioned friend, said only some neutral pad, the teachers never come to your home. Restaurant or shopping mall food court. I guess, if we were in Bangkok,  they might come to our home where whole family is present and the students is a teenager.

The site I am using has maybe 60 teachers for Thai. The site takes Paypal and the money goes to the teacher only when you confirm that the lesson did happen and you were happy with it.
I don't know what their cut is, she must be getting a good part of those 15$ and, according to her schedule, has 6-10 lessons a day. Weekends are usually grayed out.

You may estimate paypal fees in the region of 2,3 %. They are more or less a credit insurance company.

1 hour ago, think_too_mut said:

6-10 lessons a day is what the Mrs did when she worked at a language school, she packed it in, the owner was not a good employer. Now it's more like 6-10 lessons a week, she goes to students homes. One of her best students learned speaking reading and writing to a high standard in a couple of years, others like me never get the tones and give up. She's had Japanese students in the past and said they were quick learners.

Just now, buffalo_bill said:

You may estimate paypal fees in the region of 2,3 %. They are more or less a credit insurance company.

The site asked me to be "generous" and add 40 THB  to the sum of 12 lessons x 15 dollars so the teacher gets better money. I did. If that is their only cut, fine. Buying lessons in chunks of 12.

School holiday for my daughter next week, she agreed to have Thai lessons every day.

1 minute ago, paul101 said:

6-10 lessons a day is what the Mrs did when she worked at a language school, she packed it in, the owner was not a good employer. Now it's more like 6-10 lessons a week, she goes to students homes. One of her best students learned speaking reading and writing to a high standard in a couple of years, others like me never get the tones and give up. She's had Japanese students in the past and said they were quick learners.

Asians are hard-wired to their languages. When my daughter was 5-6 years old, my wife would take her to playgrounds. Almost daily, a Japanese mother would come to talk to her in Thai. Wives of Japanese sent to Thai, they had language school paid. Toyota, Denso, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Yazaki companies, to name a few.

Indians, where only 10% of population speaks English, are very quick to learn Japanese.

• Like 1