My Corona Diary December 2020 - 2021

Nasiadai

A note on my own behalf:
I suffer from severe high blood pressure.
That's why I had a stroke exactly 9 years ago.
I have been in hospital for the last few days because of another high blood pressure attack;
a so-called “hypertensive derailment”.
The doctors can't help me. No medication helps me.
Blood pressure lowering drugs only work in extremely high doses.
In this critical health situation, I will hardly come to SEA and Siam in January 2022.
I can die at any time due to another stroke.

I have invitations from my Thai friends and their families (all speak good German; are/were colonels and generals of the Thai military).
In the past years we have always had a wonderful time together; e.g. dinners together in restaurants at Chayo Praya in Bangkok, Oktoberfest 2015, family parties, football tournaments and much more.
They all ask when I'm coming back, because Thailand is now letting tourists back into the country.
Maybe I will fly in January 2022 (if I am still alive then).
If I die in Bangkok or Jomtiem, the urn with my ashes can be placed in a Buddhist Wat and my family (daughter, brother, sister etc.) can come and “visit” me there later and say goodbye.
I think that is a good idea. This may sound like "gallows humour", but I have no other options left.

In Classical Peroid Greece, humans were called the "mortals". The Greeks considered themselves the earthly counterpart to the gods, who were called the "immortals". If you look closely at the stories and myths of the classical Greek era, immortality is the only really decisive criterion that separates us humans from the gods. For the behavioural patterns and the emotions of the Greek gods are infused and permeated with the human and the all-too-human, so that immortality remains as the only and distinguishing criterion.

Today the Greek gods have faded; they have passed their twilight of the gods. Today's Greeks are Christian Orthodox and Zeus and Hera, Aphrodite, Pallas Athena, Hermes, Poseidon, Ares and all the other deities of the classical era of Greece have literally faded, passed away. They no longer exist.

One of my best friends has been struck by a severe stroke.
He has been in intensive care at the Düsseldorf University Hospital for about four weeks.
The stroke was so severe that he fell into a coma from which he has not woken up to this day.
He is no longer responsive and it is doubtful whether he will ever come back.
It is terrible! It's a disaster!

It's not looking good .... Pray for him. There is nothing else we can do.

Today, Friday, I wanted to take the bus to the Elbe and the Elbe dyke for a long walk.
tI can't, I'm shaking all over.
I can't, I'm shaking all over. Bernd, what are you doing?! Come back.
Bernd, please come back.You are still needed in our circle of friends.
He has considered himself immortal. He always thought that only others die, he himself never dies.

Das 4. Buch Mose 6, 24-26

Der Herr segne dich und behüte dich;
der Herr lasse sein Angesicht leuchten über dir und sei dir gnädig;
der Herr hebe sein Angesicht über dich und gebe dir Frieden.

Maybe this blessing we all know will help:
The 4th book of Moses 6, 24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you:
The Lord make His face to shine upon you,
To shine upon you and be gracious, and be gracious unto you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCpxgEHqjFA

I too am threatened with the same fate as my friend. A stroke that will either lead directly to death or make me a total invalid. This can happen at any hour on any coming day.

So, that's the end of the bad news.

I'm changing the subject and returning to the pleasant and beautiful topics, the topics we are all gathered here for and are interested in.

Corona and no end: ==> Let's be optimistic.

For almost 2 years I have been following the news and reporting on Corona in German-language media; not only the mainstream media, but also alternative blogs and websites run by proven experts (doctors, virologists).

a kind of summary:
Humanity has to get used to living with this virus.
We have accepted that medical science, the medical art, for example, cannot defeat cancer, stroke and some serious hereditary diseases.
The world has to get used to the fact that Corona cannot be completely and finally defeated either.
With vaccines and drugs we can greatly mitigate the course of the disease and avoid many deaths, but we have to accept that a handful of people will get sick with the Corona virus (with a more or less severe course) and a very small minority will die despite vaccination and medication. The vast majority of those who die from Corona are over 78/80 years old and suffer from pre-existing diseases; so they are already debilitated.
The world can no longer afford (for many weighty reasons) further lockdowns and severe restrictions.

The strange thing about this virus is the different courses of the disease.
In a very large proportion of those who are infected with the virus, the course of the disease is very flat. Many show no symptoms of the disease at all.
In another part, the illness runs like a normal flu; after 5 to 6 days with fever, cough, aching limbs, pain in the lungs, etc., the illness subsides.
In a very small proportion, the course of the disease is very severe and long-lasting, so that they have to be hospitalised. Patients lie in bed with severe pain for over 3 weeks before improvement occurs. A few retain permanent damage from this disease; the vast majority, however, recover normally.

Nevertheless:
The virus is dangerous; I certainly don't want to be infected!
It is more dangerous than conventional flu viruses.
But it is not as dangerous as politicians and mass media in Western countries would have us believe.
The mortality rate seems to be well below one percent of those infected.
Almost only people over 78/80 with pre-existing diseases die from the virus.

Charly    ---  Joeraman / Hamburg

If I don't get another hypertensive attack in the course of December, if my heart, circulation and blood pressure no longer get out of control but work normally, then I will fly to Siam in mid-January 2022.
Many friends are waiting for me and are happy when I come back.

I have contact to and with Thailand every day.
My Thai friends and acquaintances tell me about the current situation, and I use video blogs, e.g. on YouTube. Personal contact is mainly via email and the so-called social media. I also read a few Thailand info boards every day. At any given time, I am quite well informed about the key issues such as visa, entry requirements, residency requirements, Corona-related local contact restrictions, etc. I also read a couple of social media boards every day.

A buddy - a retired general and former Phantom F5 pilot - has bought an old German-made motorboat and spent months making it "seaworthy" again. We want to sail together through the Gulf of Siam; for two to three weeks.
I want to go to Jomtiem again; to Soi Welcome. Beach life, bathing for hours, enjoying the sun, sea, water and warmth. Out of the Teutonic winter, into the Siamese warmth.
Party in the evening and be merry; enjoy life to the fullest once again. At Happy Bou, Joy's Paradise, Richmond Bar or one of the other pubs in Soi Welcome.
Take two or three strolls through trendy gogo bars, laugh in beer bars with a few nice girlies, chat, fool around. Do it all again and experience what Pattaya has to offer.

My plans and preparations for a holiday of several months - wintering in the warmth and sun of SEA - are underway (January 2022 – April 2022). The trolley is packed. Dear God, help me to keep my circulation and blood pressure under control.