My Corona Diary December 2020 - 2021

Nasiadai

5 hours ago, Coss said:

Stick, despite us living on the same Island, we've still not had a beer together, likely because of my hermit-like tendencies.

Next time you're bored in Jaffa-ville, let me know if you'd like one.

A tangent: you're probably sick to the back teeth of talk about StickBoy and I only tender the following link, as it references your site. https://coconuts.co/bangkok/lifestyle/sexpat-blogger-stickboy-abruptly-pulls-out-of-bangkok/?mc_cid=4f4d564f54&mc_eid=503e28128a

Hi Coss,

More than happy to meet up when I am next up in Auckland (or if you should make it down to Napier, by any chance). I've joined the Cult Of Khun Sanuk so it might have to be a coffee....yeah, I've given up alcohol. It wasn't a conscious decision , rather something that just happened. I found myself only drinking when I was in Thailand and never here in NZ and I found that I just sort of lost the taste for alcohol. Last drink was February last year. Before that it was several months earlier.

It looks like Omicron is in our lives for the next several weeks. I had planned to come up to Auckland but will put if off until we're past the worst of Omicron. Mid to late-March I should be up your way. Are you still in Beachhaven? I'm a former Glenfield boy and most of my mates are still on the Shore.

6 hours ago, Stickman said:

I've joined the Cult Of Khun Sanuk so it might have to be a coffee....yeah, I've given up alcohol. It wasn't a conscious decision , rather something that just happened.

Not the only one Stick, I, the person who had the penchant of knocking back a dozen or so beers and half a bottle of Vodka and still remain sober (that should have been a warning) gave up (for the second time) two and a half years ago now, don’t miss it in the least.

Something happened to me, Doctor said “Stop Drinking or dead within six months” I didn’t need telling twice.

• Like 1

Esteemed Oceanians, dear Stickman - Paul, revered Coss, Mr Mekong and my penis is hungry,

I have read of the altercation between Stickman - Paul - and Stickboy - Mike - on other boards.
I believe - from what I have read - that this group around Mike Stickboy is trying to copy, to imitate the successful and respected reporting of Paul Stickman.
This group around Stickboy is trying to suggest to a large audience through the similarity of the avatar (Stickman - Stickboy) that here the original Stickman is posting news and reports on Siamese nightlife under a second identity.
In the process, there are always positive reports about certain bars and gogos; these are obviously favourable reports. The reporters and bar owners are in cahoots.

I already consider the similarity of the name "Stickboy" - in order to attract attention from the large audience - as disgusting and repulsive. It is decidedly primitive.
This group attaches itself to a successful blogger, copies his identity and sails in his slipstream.
That is simply vile and lousy.

So much for my opinion.

But, dear Paul, I doubt whether my thread here is the right place for the dispute between you and Stickboy's group.
Please open a separate thread in which you can explain everything in detail.

Regards Charly (B+a*k*w+a+h+n)
live from the Düsseldorf University Library

4 hours ago, Nasiadai said:

Esteemed Oceanians, dear Stickman - Paul, revered Coss, Mr Mekong and my penis is hungry,

I have read of the altercation between Stickman - Paul - and Stickboy - Mike - on other boards.
I believe - from what I have read - that this group around Mike Stickboy is trying to copy, to imitate the successful and respected reporting of Paul Stickman.
This group around Stickboy is trying to suggest to a large audience through the similarity of the avatar (Stickman - Stickboy) that here the original Stickman is posting news and reports on Siamese nightlife under a second identity.
In the process, there are always positive reports about certain bars and gogos; these are obviously favourable reports. The reporters and bar owners are in cahoots.

I already consider the similarity of the name "Stickboy" - in order to attract attention from the large audience - as disgusting and repulsive. It is decidedly primitive.
This group attaches itself to a successful blogger, copies his identity and sails in his slipstream.
That is simply vile and lousy.

So much for my opinion.

But, dear Paul, I doubt whether my thread here is the right place for the dispute between you and Stickboy's group.
Please open a separate thread in which you can explain everything in detail.

Regards Charly (B+a*k*w+a+h+n)
live from the Düsseldorf University Library

I didn't know there was any interaction between Stickman and Stickboy anywhere. If there is, I don't know about it i.e. in other words it's not me!

As for the backstory of Stick Uncensored, that will come out in due course. I think it's pretty obvious who is behind it. Sad story really as serious mental health issues - which were widely known before any of this happened - are probably a big part of it.

The history of reviewing  Thai night life I think needs to go back to Trink,

However Stickman seems to be the only digital reviewer that ever paid tribute to Trink,

Which I like, in many ways I think Stickman was the natural successor to Trink

Ahhh back to the early 90's and waiting for the rag to appear, about the only thing I read in the paper.

Fridays Bangkok Post, pre inteweb thing days when you got ink on your fingers, the ultimate accolade was getting your name in Trink’s column. Happened to me once, some event at “The Shamrock Bar” Soi Pattayaland 2 in the late 90’s. I did have the newspaper clipping until my ex wife decided all my possessions belonged on a landfill   ….  Bitch.

Yes guys, good old Bernard Trink of the Bangkok Post.

I still remember his columns "Nite Owl" in the BP.

I read them online with great enthusiasm in the 90s. He was a real connoisseur (and also secret lover) of Bangkok nightlife; Patpong, Soi Cowboy, lower Sukumvhit and Nana Plaza he knew like no other.

After all, Nite Owl lived to be 89 years old; enviable.

Tonight, Monday 31 January 2022, the film "Amadeus" will be broadcast on Arte.

Arte – the French-German Culture channel arte.tv
The 1984 film by Milos Vorman has won 8 Oscars.
The screenplay was written by Peter Shaffer, an English playwright who also wrote the stage play of the same name. Shaffer based this on an old legend that Salieri poisoned and murdered Mozart, which is of course nonsense.
The Italian Salieri (1750 - 1825) was a composer (about 40 operas were written by him),
court composer at the imperial court of Joseph II in Vienna and also a music teacher. None less
than Beethoven and Schubert and several others enjoyed composition lessons with him.
Together with Paisiello, Giuseppe Sarti, Domenico Cimarosa, Martin y Soler, Salieri was a successful superstar of the European music scene of the time.
If there had been a competition in 1790
"Europe is looking for the superstar", these gentlemen would have come out on top.
Mozart, on the other hand, in his Viennese period in the 1780s until his death in December 1991
he was just a blatant outsider.

Of course, this film, highly decorated by Hollywood, is not a serious examination of Mozart's 10 years of life and work in Vienna. It is a briskly shot, rather exciting and entertaining Hollywood production trimmed for mass success.

But this film is certainly one thing: a unique homage to Mozart's music and art of composition.
And quite rightly so!

So today, Monday 31 January at 8.15 p.m. (Central european time), sit down in front of the television, switch on Arte and experience Mozart's music.
It begins right at the start of the film with the shrill chords of the overture to Don Giovanni,
followed by the Little G Minor Symphony. There are many wonderful scenes from his Singspiels
and operas.

So take your whole family, invite a few friends, and watch and marvel and listen to "Amadeus".
The film is also available online!
https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/041207-000-A/amadeus/