My Corona Diary December 2020 - 2021

Nasiadai

July 2022 - Terrible heat wave in Europe.

It's supposed to get up to 40 degrees in London.
Hotter than Bangkok 5555
Topsy-turvy world.

Today - 19 July - we have the hottest day of this summer.
It's 36 degrees!!! Sunshine, blue skies. From 2pm to 6pm the thermometer rises to 36 degrees.
It is hotter in Duesseldorf than in Bangkok 55555
I take the garden hose every hour for a shower.

Greetings from the sweltering heat of Düsseldorf.

I'm sitting in the Stoffeln beer garden and drinking fizzy water until I'm sick of it.
With my notebook I check my email inbox, write and answer a few emails, read and study the latest news, read a few articles in the German blogs and newspapers and write a few comments.

In a moment I'll be back under the garden hose.

Wasser marsch!  -- Water march!

live from Biergarten Stoffeln - Duesseldorf, Juli 19. - 2.45 pm

• 1 month later...

I'm a little drunk; in the Stoffeln beer garden in Duesseldorf.

1418761760_BiergartenStoffeln-DSC01624.jpg.15cad2f276767a1175b7757a8d2eb49e.jpg

We are having the hottest summer in Germany since the weather was recorded about 150 years ago.
This summer is not only the hottest but also the driest! Especially in the Düsseldorf region we hardly had more than 10 mm of rain in the last 3 months June, July, August. Sunshine every day. My garden, for example, is bone dry! The lawn is brown instead of green.
Weather-wise it is better than in Pattaya in the dry season December, January.

Today - Friday 26 August - I had contact with some of my German-speaking Thai friends and some girls from Pattaya; e.g. via Facebook and other social media.
I am homesick.
I want a Som Tam with Kauniau now I want a Chang, a Singha, a bottle of San Miguel Light - or two. San Miguel Light is the Dom Perignon of beers, so to speak; it is therefore a bit more expensive than the other beers. Amidst the families of my Thai friends.
The female members praise me because I am polite, entertaining, I make a few polite compliments:
"Charly, you are Bakwahn"
the wives and daughters of my Thai friends smile and Charly is happy.
The Düsseldorf Altbier goes to my head - if my doctors could see me now - the internist and the cardiologist
" you are no longer our patient, find other doctors ..."

I am coming to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my stroke December 8, 2012 at Rockhouse, Smurf (German Bar) and Phil's Le Pub. (all in Pattaya)
This is a threat, not a promise

Good on ya Nasiadai.

We in NZ are alternating between lovely Spring weather and torrential weeks of rain and cold, at the end of our Winter, life-changing flooding in some parts of the land. The lawns are quagmires.

The weather is - we've got all of your rain and cooler temps. Singha and San Miguel, yes, but Beer Lao is the one for me, not because of my association with Laos, but for the manner of drinking, with ice and all day in the heat :)

Not that I drink much any more, but if needs must...

I hope you make it to Patters for the 10 year anniversary of your stroke, mine was 2017 so the anniversary is not until 2027, by which time I will be in Laos, but I should be able to construct a memories trip, to lower Sukhumvit :)

• 1 month later...

I think I got over Corona.
Every other day the temperature is still slightly elevated.

Summer is long gone.
At the beginning of October I left Düsseldorf, our garden, my beloved beer garden, and my family and returned to my flat in Hamburg.
In the past few days during my corona illness, my neighbour cooked for me.
She is a pensioner in her mid-sixties, spry, very resolute, does not tolerate any backtalk.

I got myself a domestic helper. She comes once a week and cleans and does the dishes.
Next week, a cleaner (a male) comes to clean my windows, the window frames and the window sills.
It costs me a lot of money, but who cares? In return, I save on drinking.
I hardly drank at all during the long summer; always just water and a few other soft drinks.
I can't drink any more. It's better. It saved a lot of money, some bills were a lot smaller than in previous years;
in the Biergarten or in my beloved Wellnetz, my Kneipe - pub - where I am a regular.
And when I'm fully recovered, I'll do my apartment on my own again.

Starting tomorrow, I'll try to go for a longer walk every day.
I have to get my strength back, so I have to do something physically every day.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of events that I have not reported.

A look back at the last weeks and months shows that my life is not that boring and uneventful. There is always something happening ...  a small example:

On another board I posted the following after the death of the Queen of England:

I would like to develop just one small thought on the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

With Queen Elizabeth, Europe loses more than just another head of state who - in my opinion - represents more past than present times. The woman who, more than any other, stands for the sedate (controlled, unexicited) "keep calm and carry on", passes away at the most crisis-ridden time in European history since the end of the Second World War.

Elizabeth is the counterpart of Queen Victoria. During Victoria's long reign, the kingdom advanced to empire status. England was the head, the finisher and the master of imperialism, colonialism, oppression and exploitation based on military and weapons superiority. At its peak, it controlled about a quarter of the world's population and was the undisputed world power.
If one looks at Elizabeth's era - in particular the 1950s and 1960s - the exact opposite happened during this time: an age of liquidation, of descent - a fall from the very top to near insignificance. Britain lost not only its world power status, but also most of its colonies.

It takes not only greatness to preside over and govern a powerful and growing empire; it also takes a certain amount of sovereignty, dignity and decency, humility, to dignifiedly dismantle an empire: a former gigantic empire becomes an almost insignificant small middle power within a few years; from "Great Britain" to a very small tiny Britain that is suddenly thrown back on itself.

You British should be glad that in these decades of your rapid historical decline you have had this Queen at your head who has represented your country with dignity.

1323707850_Charly-Bazzar-DSC02411.jpg.2f0cb4b3f6dbcab16d7b56f6c759128e.jpg

Die Königin ist tot  --- es lebe der König  ---->  The Queen is dead --- long live the King

Charly III.  King of Germany  - König von Deutschland
at Cafe Bazzar in Düsseldorf together with his friends and girlfriends.

What else do I do?
I'm starting to plan my holiday.
Of course, this includes: I have to catch a couple of doctor's appointments; one with the internist and the second with the cardiologist.
I ask for their assessment: can I make another trip to SEA? Three to four months?
How is the blood pressure and the whole cardiovascular system?
I tell the doctors to their faces:
There is no better place in this world to die than a Buddhist country SEA's; whether Thailand, Laos or Burma or Cambodia etc..
My body will be cremated and the ashes will go into an urn. A few days later, someone from my family comes and picks up the urn and takes it to Germany, where the funeral can then take place.
Everything is so simple...
ok
Then another appointment with a dentist. He only has to look in once; I don't want to have any trouble with toothache on the way.
ok

What will I take with me?
What do I have to pack?
My tablets, of course; a large supply.
A wound cream with lots of zinc, just in case.
A few thick books; about Buddhism, among other things.

When do I want to start?
At the moment I don't know. It depends on what my family is planning for the Christmas season.
Christmas is very important for us; in every way.
So I still have to wait.
Start either
1. end of November or
2. end of December after Christmas - from 28th - 29th December.