IOS 14.x

Coss

Any one have problems with IOS 14.x ?

I held off updating my phone from 13.4 until 14.3, on the basis that 14.3 would have sorted any problematic bugs, or so I thought.

Seems that intermittent :: freezes, non charging, no incoming calls and missing texts are all part of the ride, and not just for me, these and other problems are wide-spread around the world.

Jeez, it used to be that Apple wasn't like Windows, 'it just worked', now it seems that in order to make their trillions, they cut costs on actual humans doing the testing...

SMARTPHONE18-512.png

No issues for me here. Two Xs and one 11. All on 14.3 and working as before. iPad pro also on iOS 14.3 working as before but for one niggle, opening the cover does not switch on the screen. backlight comes on but not the actual display. Pressing the button on top solves it, but still not what I expect.

Yes, 

3 hours ago, radioman said:

still not what I expect.

...is what I'm getting, MLG phone is the same model, but still on 13.x and has no problems.

Daughter in Aus has an 11 and finds calls cutting off (always the work ones). Her husband has a 12 and it's OK.

13 hours ago, baa99 said:

... or the update forces you to buy a new iphone. :deal:

Not at 1,500 NZ pesos it doesn't.

If I recall 13.x was problematic until 13.4 

Also ::

Apple (and I think Android) pushes some update components under the radar, sneaking them in without asking the user and separately from any actual update. So maybe their beta testing now includes this work flow ::

a/. release update  b/. check the "share data with apple" stream  c/. roll out 'under the radar' tiny fixes, to certain iPhone models, if a bug is present in numbers...

This feature for Covid tracing, just turned upon one day, in 13.4, despite all the literature saying it was part of a 13.7 update.

https://covid19.apple.com/contacttracing  its a good thing, but I wasn't asked. It is Opt in.

How to manage COVID-19 exposure notifications on iPhone

In iOS 13.6.1 and earlier

1. Head to Settings on your iPhone
  2. Swipe down and tap Privacy
  3. Now choose Health
  4.  Tap COVID-19 Exposure Logging at the top
  5. You’ll need an authorized app before Exposure Notifications can be turned on. But then you can tap the toggle to turn notifications on or off
  6. You can also delete the exposure logs manually at any time at the bottom of the settings
  7. Follow along here for when apps from health authorities become available in the U.S.

In iOS 13.7 and iOS 14 and later

With these software builds users don’t have to install a specific health department app to use Exposure Notifications, but local health department support is still required for the feature to work based on where you live.

Contact tracing is still turned off by default.

1. Open Settings on your iPhone
  2. Swipe down and tap Exposure Notifications just above Battery
  3. Contact tracing (Exposure Notifications are off by default)
  4. Tap Turn on Exposure Notifications to see if the feature is available in your area
  5. You can only use the feature if a local health authority has made it available
  6. You can toggle off “Availability Alerts” if you don’t want to know when contact tracing is available in your area

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/07/how-to-turn-on-off-covid-19-contact-tracing-iphone-ios/

Note* this is still buggy software. 

In my now 14.3,  I went in to enable exposure notifications and there in the settings is a "Turn On Exposure Notifications" in clickable link blue, so I did, I got asked to choose a country, so I chose NZ and says I've already chosen NZ (which I did under 13.4).

So the bug I guess, is more of a GUI sloppiness, in that, it's not indicating I have already chosen NZ, until after I choose it, but I guess I can choose other countries as well, for when I become an international jet setting playboy again.

Though why it doesn't just have an 'on ' or  'off' for all countries, is mystifying.

I can't think of a use case, for wanting to know if I've been exposed to Covid in one country but not another country, may be this pandemic virus is harmless if you catch it in some countries?

And just as I wrote this my phone rebooted all by itself sitting next to the laptop.

I'm thinking that it's the battery charging routine "learning" again, like it did in early 13.x

3 hours ago, radioman said:

No issues for me here. Two Xs and one 11. All on 14.3 and working as before. iPad pro also on iOS 14.3 working as before but for one niggle, opening the cover does not switch on the screen. backlight comes on but not the actual display. Pressing the button on top solves it, but still not what I expect.

I have an iPad mini 2 that I was using to read a repair manual for my last microwave, I had the cover of the microwave off and I just wanted to check the power was getting through after having replaced the fuse so I flipped the on button on for 1 second and the power was getting through, but the magnetron was kaput and I ended up with a new microwave.

Yes I know... my dental fillings didn't get warm...

Now my iPad works as before but for the screen going intermittently milky so I guess I'm gonna have to stump up for a new iPad soon.

And in the theme of 2020 tech stories:

I woke up to a flat battery in my car two days ago, I'd left the parking lights on all night.

So I went and got a bunch of power drill cells that I'd cobbled together, for use with a fish finder and lo and behold, much to my surprise, there was enough zing in them, to turn over the engine and start the car.

Happiness...

battt.jpg.99265c59c6b8e2b904774a47024eacdf.jpg