Swiss woman found dead in Phuket sandbox  

Coss

Sad - and bad news for the Sandbox

PHUKET: A Swiss woman, 57, was found dead among rocks at a waterfall on Thursday afternoon. She was believed to be raped and murdered....

Police said the woman had arrived at Phuket airport on July 13 under the Phuket Sandbox reopening scheme, which began on July 1. The project was the government's bid to revive tourism, the lifeline of the southern island province's economy....

An immigration police source said the woman had arrived alone from Singapore and stayed at Dusit Thani Laguna Hotel from July 13 to 27 before moving to The Mooring Resort Hotel. A witness saw her walking out of the hotel towards a beach at about 2pm on Tuesday....

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2160603/swiss-woman-found-dead-in-phuket-sandbox

Gentlemen, had a discussion last night and heard somebody saying that Thailand would be extraordinarily "safe" for women travelling on their own. You read from time to time that women have been raped and killed, would you say it is "safe" or "unsafe". I have no idea about the real numbers.

Hi,

But what percentage of rapes get reported in Thailand, as opposed to in those countries?

While I think it is a very safe country for tourists (in general, and not counting traffic issues), I think that for Thais the situation is quite different. Violence is very common, and Thais do explode at times and will kill over the slightest issue. Road rage also seems to be quite common, with many people carrying clubs, knives, or worse, in their cars.

Sanuk!

• Like 1

Hi,

>but my point is if it could be calles unsafe for single female tourists

I would say, no. With some caveats like don't get shit-faced, don't party with Thai guys, do not wander around alone in the middle of the night, etc.
Oh, and stay the fuck away from Koh Tao :)

Sanuk!

The shame of Thai tourism

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2161431/the-shame-of-thai-tourism

From the article:-

The Thai government has quickly responded to the case so far. National police chief Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk flew to Phuket on Thursday and special investigators have been appointed -- the same team that took charge of the Koh Tao murder case in which two British tourists were killed in 2014. A special forensic team has been flown from Bangkok to look for forensic evidence at the crime scene which can be sent back to the police lab on the same day

I did say that Burmese males aged 18-28 on Phuket should be worried

So 4 days after the murder they're so proud, they can send evidence to the lab on the same day they find it...

and "Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, 57, deputy protocol chief of the Federal Assembly of Switzerland, was found murdered at Ao Yon waterfall in tambon Vichit of Muang district in Phuket on Thursday afternoon. Police said she had been dead for about two days. " https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2161243/no-suspect-in-swiss-womans-murder

not just a tourist