Live Music Concerts

Mekong

A comment PTBM made on another thread got me thinking about the concerts I have attended over the years. All are memorable but some more memorable than others.

Growing up in Manchester England in the mid 70’s I was spoiled for live music, every week sometimes more than once a week there was a name band in town, talking the likes of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Hawkwind, Motörhead, UFO, Scorpions, Rush, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC and so on.

One time I saw Judas Priest with this new band called “Iron Maiden” supporting them, Paul Di’anio days, on another occasion Def Leppard. These were mainly “run of the mill” gigs with a few big events in between.

Knebworth 1979, my first Mega-Concert, estimates of 200,000 people to watch Led Zepplin, little did we know at the time one month later the great John Bonham would be dead. 
Earls Court 1980, Pink Floyd “The Wall” the stage show was too complex to tour with so played multiple nights at the same location. After the set of concerts Roger Waters said”That was the Las time I play that   …   unless the Nelson Wall comes down”

Berlin 1990 Roger Waters “The Wall” Six moths after the collapse of the wall, 450,000 people at Brandenburg Gate, hair raising.

But the one that gets me was a couple of nights at the Manchester Apollo in 1979, tickets were pricey £3.75 instead of usual £3.25, AC/DC Highway to Hell Tour, one of Bon Scott’s last performances before his untimely death.

Bon was the ultimate front man, the best vocalist of all time IMHO and irreplaceable. I cannot listen to AC/DC with Brian Johnson and nothing recorded after Highway to Hell is worth listening to. 

1 hour ago, paul101 said:

Been to over 1000 in Thailand but not since last Oct, everything got cancelled this year 🙄

Not counting Pub Bands / Local Acts, Only a few in Thailand, non for a few years now, list includes, but not limited to

Black Eyed Peas, Uriah Heep, Incubus, Norah Jones, Roger Waters, Deep Purple, Linkin Park, Fataboy Slim and a few more. Also a few down in Singapore including New Order, RHCP and Joe Bonamassa.

The only festival in Asia was Fuji Rock in Japan about 20 years ago. 

Hi,

Only been to a few concerts, but the 2 that stood out were:

Van Halen joining Bon Jovi as 'very special guests'. 50-60K people on a field, rain pissing down. All the girls there to see Bon Jovi huddled under umbrella's. Van Halen fans not giving a shit and just getting wet. Van Halen finished their set and roughly 1 in 6 people, including my friends and I, left while Bon Jovi was walking onto the stage. Must have been a great boost to morale to see nearly 10K people leave :)

Invite only event for Van Halen giving a select group of people the opportunity to listen to their new album (Balance). Small venue packed with maybe 250-300 people.

Sanuk!

Van Halen, Pasadena California 1977 before they had released their first Album. I was on a School Exchange trip (haha I went to a posh grammar school)  and my host family had connections to the band.

When working in TX 2001 quite a few the one which comes to mind was Ozzfest, can’t beat a bit of Ozzy.

Memorable ones......Dead Kennedys AC/DC Nick Cave was always great live.

Last big concert I went to was Calvin Harris after the Singapore F1. Great energy in such a mixed crowd of apparently over 100,000

44 minutes ago, khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"can’t beat a bit of Ozzy"

Would have loved to see Ozzy live. Probably not gonna happen anymore now.
Same for Motorhead and Black Sabbath.

Sanuk!

You can still hear Thai versions of Motorhead, she was 10 when she made this