Coss

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back in mid-June, Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha surprised everyone by promising to reopen the country to foreign tourists by October. 

The time had come, he said, to take that calculated risk. 

At the time, few took him seriously. 

Thailand had zealously guarded its borders, imposing quarantine and mountains of paperwork on all arrivals since April last year. 

Foreign tourism, once an engine of the Thai economy, collapsed. Just over 70,000 came into the country in the first eight months of this year, compared to 40 million in the whole of 2019. 

Covid-19 was successfully contained through most of 2020, but by June this year infections were rising quickly, and the government was being roundly criticised for being too slow to start vaccinating. Opening up in October seemed impossible.

But true to his word, the great reopening appears to have begun, albeit with only very modest steps. The night-time curfew has been shortened by an hour, starting at 10pm, and libraries and museums can open. You can visit a spa, but only with advanced booking and a recent negative Covid test.

Fully-vaccinated tourists will now be quarantined for just one week instead of two. Further minor relaxations are expected in November. This is welcome news for the battered hospitality industry, but hardly sufficient to get the visitors pouring back in.

…..more.     https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58758310

And whilst I have no knowledge of the actual, on the ground conditions, in LOS...

I can report that in Laos, people are being told, if you are sick, stay at home. If someone is really seriously ill, the hospital will come and collect them, maybe, otherwise stay at home.

MLG and I are now 2 for 2, with Pfizer, but I'm not coming to SEA, not because I am worried about catching the virus, but because, outside of a few show pony tourist attractions, I think that day to day life will be very un-enjoyable compared to pre-covid days, and thereto, remove the reason for coming in the first place.

An exception may be, if one of the close family is affected seriously.

I can't wait to go back to Thailand. I'm guessing a lot of pent up 'energy' from prior visitors. I'm further guessing that getting people back won't be a problem. The cases of Covid19 is. Fully vaccinated may be a requirement. If not, I'd be surprised. 

16 hours ago, Coss said:

It'd be interesting to see when the "market" does re-open, if the prices for BF ST and LT change,  or if these are even the payment structure anymore.

The market will always find its level. ;) My guess is if there are a lot of sanukers, high prices initially then it comes down. If not as many as expected or needed, a buyers market. 

Overall, in time, it will sort itself out. 

On 10/5/2021 at 5:37 PM, Coss said:

It'd be interesting to see when the "market" does re-open, if the prices for BF ST and LT change,  or if these are even the payment structure anymore.

I, for one, believe that the market has moved away from the dated BF/ST/LT days to more online based with sites such as Tasrebuds, Coffee meets Bagel, Bumble, Happn to name a few, innocuous sounding online dating sites in Bangkok.

Why would a girl want to spend 9 hours per night, six nights a week in a bikini dancing on a stage getting cropped by drunken Farangs on the off chance she will get a ST or LT when she can sit at home or with mates on her phone getting online bookings.

My 2 cents worth.