Covid - your thoughts please

Coss

On 8/5/2022 at 4:10 PM, gawguy said:

I am self quarantining for 5 days and I want to get out of here. I called China Airlines to change my ticket to 10 days earlier and they wanted $5000 for the change. The original round trip ticket was $4300. So they want more to get me out of here one way than the cost of my round trip. I didn't go for that and kept my original departure date.

Coss responded to this saying it was extremely rude of China Airlines and said he told his airline that he had it and he got a bonus, a stimulus, a prize or something. I had not wanted to give out personal medical info when I made that call, but based on what Coss got maybe I could at least get out of here if I told them I had Covid. So I called Taiwan again, prepared for battle. I told the agent that I had Covid and needed to get home so my family could take care of me. He said he would check everything and let me know. But since I am in Thailand I would have to call China Airlines in BKK to get the penalty waived but he would figure out how much it would be and I could decide what to do. After a long delay he came back on the phone and said, "4,800 Taiwan Dollars." The woman agent the other day did not say Taiwan Dollars. She just said Dollars. I'm from the US and always pay my fare in Dollars. And what is a Taiwan Dollar anyway?? He's sorry, but he's in Taiwan and I have to pay Taiwan Money. And how much would that be in USD, Sir?  !!! $137 !!!  Why didn't she say so when I said $5,000 is ridiculous?

Communication hardly ever works the first time. There was another fly in the ointment, namely that he kept saying my fare on the way over here was Economy and I said it was Premium Economy with the good seats and big TV screen and lots of leg room. And if I wanted to upgrade my flight back to PE I had to pay for that. The fact that I had sat in the PE section with only about 6 passengers in 15 rows, but no ice. "Look at my seat number, I was in PE section." Deaf ears. Oh well, please tell me how much it would cost to upgrade and he went away for 20 minutes and came back with "15,034 dollars" and I was ready with my laptop on Foreign Exchange and that was $500.03 USD and I said "Let's do it." I don't care.. I just had Covid - I'm not sitting in packed Economy. And I'm sure that's how they came up their price. They started with $500 USD and converted it to Taiwan money.

So...I don't have get another Extension of Stay, I don't have to stay until Sept 6 in self quarantine, I'm out of here 24 August.

Thanks for all the help. I'm a believer in T360 again

This post shows the pretense of many Americans.

There are over 20 countries in the world have a currency called the dollar, including Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Jamaica, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan and United States.

The woman from Taiwan on the Phone did not know you paid is USD, and I doubt she knew you were from the USA, unless you specifically told her “I am GG from USA and paid in USD”. You called Taiwan and were given a price in TWD, well what did you expect Vietnamese Dong, Thai Baht, Malaysian Ringgit, Laos Kip, Korean Won etc

The failure was on your behalf for expect the world to revolve around you and assume everything is geared to the USA, the fact that you did not know that Taiwan had its own currency , like another 179 countries also do, should not come as any surprise.

If I had been told 4800 Dollars fee my first question would have been “Is that US Dollars?” but I would have probably assumed TWD.

So basically you are blaming China Airlines in Taiwan for your ignorance and arrogance 

Heaven only knows why Mr Mekong often thinks only insulting people make them understand a message.

I have been doing business with the Taiwanese since Adam and Eve. Their bills are always made out in USD, the Taiwan Dollar does almost not exist in daily commercial relationships. Mekong will now try to prove the opposite I guess but that is how it is. On the other hand, if you for example ring a hotel in Taipei and ask for the rate they will tell you it is 7000 NT. Spoken 7000 Enntee. Nobody says Taiwandollar. NT is the common abbrevation of New Taiwan Dollar.

6 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Heaven only knows why Mr Mekong often thinks only insulting people make them understand a message.

I have been doing business with the Taiwanese since Adam and Eve. Their bills are always made out in USD, the Taiwan Dollar does almost not exist in daily commercial relationships. Mekong will now try to prove the opposite I guess but that is how it is. On the other hand, if you for example ring a hotel in Taipei and ask for the rate they will tell you it is 7000 NT. Spoken 7000 Enntee. Nobody says Taiwandollar. NT is the common abbrevation of New Taiwan Dollar.

Insulting, how is that so all I said was

• IGNORANT. “Lacking knowledge or awareness in general”  gg stated “And what is a Taiwan Dollar anyway” which in itself shows a lack of knowledge or awareness the very definition of ignorant.
  • Arrogant “Exaggerating ones own self importance” as in expecting the whole world to trade in USD

As for NT v TWD, TWD, TWD is the ISO 4217 IBAN listing, not local stang, same as UK is GBP (Pound Sterling) not Pound or Quid

Then you go on to contradict oneself stating

• Doing business with Taiwan since Adam and Eve and there bills are always made out in USD
  • Ring a hotel in Taipei and they will quote it in Entee

So which is it, USD or TWD, make you mind up

GG rang China Airlines in Taiwan, just like you ringing a hotel in Taipei, and was given a price in TWD just like you, but since you have knowledge you are aware that entee refers to New Taiwan Dollar (TWD ISO 4217j, and are not expecting a quote in Euro “Because I am German and we use Euro in my country” 

I know you loathe me and try to pick holes in every post I make, like as if I care, it means I have got u dear your skin

So, I stand by what I said,GG was ignorant due to not knowing about different  global currencies and also arrogant by expecting everything in the world to be in USD. It was an honest observation based upon facts and not the insult one perceives