Your Home Country Taxes While Living In Another Country

cavanami

It will soon be tax time for us USA people. As I am always looking for some way to reduce the taxes I must pay, now this is my latest idea...

Since I have been some years with the same Thai lady, can she be considered my common law wife and hence a tax deduction for me?

What I have seen doing my thing with google searches, that Thailand does not have the provision for a common law relationship/marriage. Maybe this will be the death of my idea for the additional tax deduction?

I am in email conversation with my tax guy in the USA and he is also looking in to this to see if it is feasible...more as it happens...

Cav,

Correct, Common Law Marriage is not recognized in Thailand But it is in the USA where you are filing your tax returns.

If I was you I would look at claiming Common Law Marriage under US Civil law, a long shot but …

I have never understood how the USA treats is expat nationals re Taxation, but then again many things American are strange to me.

Only certain States of the USA recognize common law marriages. 

Validity of Marriages Abroad

If you get married abroad and need to know if your marriage will be recognized in the United States and what documentation may be needed, contact the office of the Attorney General of your state of residence in the United States.

• 2 weeks later...

Section 1457...will check in to this...

Thailand accepts common law marriages if a couple register as married under Section 1457

of the Civil and Commercial Code of the laws of Thailand.

My thought is that you would need to register the union in Thailand.

You would also need to obtain an ITIN # for your SO to be able to include her

In your tax return.

Marriage in Thailand is governed by the Civil and Commercial Code book 5, sections 1435 to 1535. A marriage (section 1457) can take place only if the man and woman (who are at least 18 years old) agree to take each other as husband and wife, and such agreement must be declared publicly before the Registrar in order to have it recorded by the Registrar. Marriage in Thailand is created and completed on formal registration and inclusion in the government's marriage register.

• Section 1457: Marriage under this code (civil and commercial code) shall be effected only on registration being made.
  • Section 1458: A marriage can take place only if the man and woman agree to take each other as husband and wife, and such agreement must be declared publicly before the Registrar in order to have it recorded by the Registrar.

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/registration-of-a-thai-marriage